Author Topic: Protective rubber pad - 66 San Jose  (Read 5643 times)

Offline BMRBill

Protective rubber pad - 66 San Jose
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »
I am currently restoring a 66 Shelby GT350H 6S 1047 Build date 15 Dec 65. I have noticed that the Battery protective pad on the RT inner fender panel was originally installed with Staples not the normally seen plastic push pins. The pad has long ago departed but the staples are still present. My question is Did San Jose do it this way as a norm and if they did, was there holes on the rubber pad for push pins or was the pad without holes? The inner panel is the original piece and there were no holes in it for push pins.

Bill Collins

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Protective rubber pad - 66 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »
Hi Bill - moved this over here with the rest of the 64-66 stuff ;)

So we've got a 66 San Jose car with a VIN in the 144xxx area.

Biggest challenge IMHO is getting any real idea of when these cars were built since the range can be off (VIN wise) by almost a month

Looking at others built around the same time it appears that staples were the standard for the first half or more of the year with a transition (very general statement follows) around 172-179,000

BTW if this car has the original original wheels on it I would be interested in seeing a picture if possible. Still trying to determine if there was a short run of Magnums that were different from the generally accept ones
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mmv.mustangs

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:43:22 PM »
Just to add, my 1966 hipo, build date 1-31-1966 has the original square pad with staples.

Mark Vasquez CA.

Offline BMRBill

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Yes the car does have the original Magnum 500's. I just got them back from rechrome. Going by panel date codes etc the build date is very close. I compared the Ford Vin to another San Jose car and they are very close together. His car was built 20 Dec and the Vin was 355 farther along on series #'s. I really need to know about the pad because I am going to have to make one and I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks

Bill Collins

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 08:03:36 PM »
Just remember thatwe really don't know when any of these cars were built only a time period - engine compartment panel dates seem to be the best way to predict this IMH0. We take those then compare them to the spread between those dates and the real build dates from 67 San Jose cars gives us the best idea of the spread.

SO is the car in the 144000 period?  If so you will be safe with the staples - and a December built car should be safe also.

Would be interested in the Magnum offset since I'm finding a couple of different ones - especially from the 11-1280 period at SA
Jeff Speegle

Offline BMRBill

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:21:35 PM »
Yes the car does fall in the 144000 area. I have no doubt that the car was built mid Dec 65. I also know that the pads was originally installed with staples because the original inner fender panel is still installed with staples still in it. I need the actual size of the pad. Going by staple installation the pad appears to have been smaller than the push pin installed pad. Anybody have a original they could measure and pass those numbers on?

Jeff.

When I get the wheels unpacked I will pass on the back space and wheel width on to you.

Thanks
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:30:59 PM »
Yes the car does fall in the 144000 area. I have no doubt that the car was built mid Dec 65. I also know that the pads was originally installed with staples because the original inner fender panel is still installed with staples still in it. I need the actual size of the pad. Going by staple installation the pad appears to have been smaller than the push pin installed pad. Anybody have a original they could measure and pass those numbers on?

Jeff.

When I get the wheels unpacked I will pass on the back space and wheel width on to you.

Thanks Bill
Jeff Speegle

Offline BMRBill

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 06:27:55 PM »
The wheels measure 7" outside to outside but are stamped 14x6 on the inside the back space is 3 1/2"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »
The wheels measure 7" outside to outside but are stamped 14x6 on the inside the back space is 3 1/2"

Thanks - will have to compare that (the back spacing) to the two different styles I have.  Shows like the typical ones.  Did you buy these with the car or from another source?

Thanks again

Back to the thread - did look at the yards yesterday but none of the 65-66's still had the rubber pad in place
Jeff Speegle

Offline BMRBill

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »
The wheels all 5 came on the car. Am looking at a set of Goodyear Blue Streaks to finish it off. I had the wheels rechromed at Wheel Creations in LA Area. they are really awesome, they have a new process that does not require the wheel to be cut apart and rewelded after chroming. I have not figured out a good way to repaint the black portion yet? By the way the price was pretty reasonable also. Hope to get a measuremnt from somebody on the pad, I'm closing in on that part. Electical is almost done.

Thanks
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 06:48:24 PM »
Will try to check all the early cars at the shop on Monday - maybe we can get lucky

Will have to check out the wheel place -

This place in Fresno or another  ?
http://www.wheelcreationsplus.com/

I know that some of the places ofter templates (if I recall correctly) for painting the inserts but I think they leave too sharp of an edge when compared to what was originally was done
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:00:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline BMRBill

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
Yes wheel creations plus is the place. Really nice job on the wheels! I considered one of the templates and may end up doing it that way. I agree on the sharp edge ! So far I have not had good luck finding a paint that will stay on with any durability.

Bill