Author Topic: Best repro trunk weatherstripping  (Read 6761 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Best repro trunk weatherstripping
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
Although, surprisingly, I bought a Carpenter made in USA windshield gasket that was very disappointing.

Just curious--what didn't you like about the Carpenter windshield gasket?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »
Just curious--what didn't you like about the Carpenter windshield gasket?

1-The 4 corners are a porous/spongy looking material, different than the rest of the gasket
2-On the inside surface of the 4 corners there are 2 raised dots molded into the rubber.  More like circles as they are large.  These can be seen from the inside once the gasket is installed.
3-There is no lip along the top edge like originals.  I can live without this, but expected better I guess.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 12:21:40 PM »
3-There is no lip along the top edge like originals.  I can live without this, but expected better I guess.

Do you mean the missing lip is on the inside or outside?  Again, just curious.  I have a couple of unboxed windshield gaskets I got at an estate sale, and without them being boxed or bagged, I have no idea if they're original Ford or not.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 12:36:07 PM »
Do you mean the missing lip is on the inside or outside?  Again, just curious.  I have a couple of unboxed windshield gaskets I got at an estate sale, and without them being boxed or bagged, I have no idea if they're original Ford or not.

Outside, along the top.  OEM usually have Ford engineering number molded into the rubber on one of the corners, in an area that is not seen once the gasket is installed.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:25 PM »
Got it, thanks.  I doubt these are original Ford, but then again, you never know...

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 03:27:12 AM »
I was talking to Jeff at R+A Motorsports today and he said that Carpenter is revamping some molds with the help of some original 65,66 trunk weatherstrip samples that he sent for patterns. No timeline update yet however. At least the news is positive.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby