Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Date coded gas tank

(1/5) > >>

68 S Code:
As I was cleaning the gas tank (out of the car) noticed a date code stamped on the flange. It read 8G52. Makes sense since build date of car is July 12. Never would have thought it would have been stamped. Has anyone tried making a ink stamp to redo the logo? By the way there is something rattling around inside. Thought some bolts or nuts were inside. Managed to get the bugger by the neck and it was like a big ball bearing. Grey metallic bean. No rust on it. Is it supposed to be in there? I think there are a few in there.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 68 S Code on June 25, 2011, 12:04:53 AM ---As I was cleaning the gas tank (out of the car) noticed a date code stamped on the flange. It read 8G52. Makes sense since build date of car is July 12. Never would have thought it would have been stamped. Has anyone tried making a ink stamp to redo the logo? By the way there is something rattling around inside. Thought some bolts or nuts were inside. Managed to get the bugger by the neck and it was like a big ball bearing. Grey metallic bean. No rust on it. Is it supposed to be in there? I think there are a few in there.

--- End quote ---
I don't know but it brings to mind a gas mileage ring rejuvenator type product that appears like some metallic looking balls or lumps that when introduced into the gas tank were supposed to dissolve over time by the rolling action in the tank and deposit metals onto worn engine rings or something. One of many latest greatest products that was sold some years ago. Maybe a 19.99 TV product. ::) Just the first thing that came to mind. Nothing like that is supposed to be in the tank from the factory. Bob

68 S Code:
I've tried shaking them out but a lot harder tha it looks. By the way does anyone know of a easily available product which replicates the grey sealant used between the gas tank flange and the gas tank drop in the chassis. I remember it being a grey pliable sealant/rope caulk/plumber putty goop (even though it was 16 years old at the time of removal). Tried using rope caulk but only available in white or brown.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 68 S Code on June 26, 2011, 01:59:09 AM ---I've tried shaking them out but a lot harder tha it looks. By the way does anyone know of a easily available product which replicates the grey sealant used between the gas tank flange and the gas tank drop in the chassis. I remember it being a grey pliable sealant/rope caulk/plumber putty goop (even though it was 16 years old at the time of removal). Tried using rope caulk but only available in white or brown.

--- End quote ---
Grey strip caulk like what is used under the front fenders. It is available at some auto paint stores ,check eastwood,AMK used to sell it too.Incorrect black is the most prevalent at the stores now. Bob

68 S Code:
Bob thanks found grey at home depot. Ace only carries white and brown.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version