Author Topic: Wiring harness manufacturers  (Read 12078 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Wiring harness manufacturers
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
Was that breakout a squarish feature that passes wires through it?  The best way I can describe it is that it was a molding applied after the wires were laid in place and has an "X" feature on all four sides.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 03:50:51 AM »
I would like to find a 1969 NON TACH owner in need of a underdash and headlight harness (that was NOS before installing in my 428scj last year) !

EVERYONE is telling me I need to put the tach back in the car !   I have obtained two clusters and a RATTY HARNESS (I'm not sure I can use)   I have hesitated taking out the NOS harness as it was over $700 and the car is finished.    I'm not sure I want to do the work, not sure I want "patched up used" wire (that I have)  BUT would consider selling or trading for another .  (My guess it it will take at least two to make a good one)

Placed here to hear more on your thoughts, options or others with parts/needs.

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
How about leaving your car together and adding a NOS hood tach and enjoy the benefits of full instrumentation?
It's so much work to change those harnesses.
Obviously $700 for a NOS non-tach harness is considerably cheaper than a NOS tach harness too.
The hood tach should set you back less than $700.
One went on my local Craigslist for $600.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »
What gloss level is the non-sticky wire harness vinyl on 67 Mustangs supposed to be?
All of the repro harness extensions (coil, temp, o/p) have really shiny harness vinyl.
The old harness vinyl as it exists today on my car is almost indistinguishable from 3M 33+ sticky tape.
After unrolling some of my old harness vinyl it measured out at 1", so I bought some generic harness tape and it's as shiny as the repop stuff.
After all of these years it's possible the vinyl lost a lot of its shine due to blush.

Is it supposed to be shiny or is the 3m 33+ color correct?

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
What gloss level is the non-sticky wire harness vinyl on 67 Mustangs supposed to be?

Don't think anyone knows for sure what untouched assembly lines out surface wrap looked for sure but the protected under dash finish on a very well preserved unrestored car may be a good indicator. Looks like it was fairly shinny/glossy - not bad after 50 years

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »
Just an observation after looking at probably 2-3000 harnesses from engine, underdash, etc.  Most of the factory wrapping tape fades with time, and often gets stained due to exposure to tobacco, the environment, heat, etc.  Some factory tape after 50+ years appears dirty, and when cleaned with the strongest solvent, appears shiny when wet but dries to the same dirty appearance. 

The cleanest, freshest factory tape I've seen is a tad less shiny than the 33+.  When I re-wrap a harness in 33+, it is obvious that it is a re-wrap, as it is too shiny throughout, and doesn't look factory to me.  The same goes to the reproduction harnesses: a tad too shiny.  I could be biased, though, in that 99.5% of what I see is 50+ years old and it's hard for plastics to retain its original finish after all those years. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »
Another famous fuchsia pink arrow! Thanks Jeff.

Compared to my new roll, that is semi gloss and mine is full gloss.
Time to go shopping for the right stuff (NPD perhaps) and some white 3M Scotloks (another story).

Randy -- I'm unsure as to what to do with this harness as it highly visible in the engine compartment.
Re-wrap it in no-glue vinyl so it has the same sheen everywhere?

It's odd. I took the engine o/p, temp, and coil harness apart on the Shelby as there is 3 wires in and two out. Plus it was in sad shape. Two things struck me. I couldn't tell the sticky tape apart from wrap. And SA took the harness apart, snipped the o/p idiot light wire and simply wrapped the thing back with tape. We don't need no stinking light when we have a real gauge!

By the way, I noticed in Jeff's pic that he has cloth tape on the mid span of his loose wires coming out of the main bundle. I noticed every loose wire I have is normal semi-gloss tape. I ASSume this is a plant/year thing.
Is that spelled out in the Library?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:42:42 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 12:54:15 AM »
Another famous fuchsia pink arrow! Thanks Jeff.

Compared to my new roll, that is semi gloss and mine is full gloss.
Time to go shopping for the right stuff (NPD perhaps) and some white 3M Scotloks (another story).

Randy -- I'm unsure as to what to do with this harness as it highly visible in the engine compartment.
Re-wrap it in no-glue vinyl so it has the same sheen everywhere?

It's odd. I took the engine o/p, temp, and coil harness apart on the Shelby as there is 3 wires in and two out. Plus it was in sad shape. Two things struck me. I couldn't tell the sticky tape apart from wrap. And SA took the harness apart, snipped the o/p idiot light wire and simply wrapped the thing back with tape. We don't need no stinking light when we have a real gauge!

By the way, I noticed in Jeff's pic that he has cloth tape on the mid span of his loose wires coming out of the main bundle. I noticed every loose wire I have is normal semi-gloss tape. I ASSume this is a plant/year thing.
SA did not take the engine gauge feed harness apart. They simply snipped the oil idiot light wire where it came out of the existing harness and sometimes but a wrap of electrical or friction tape to cover the snipped wire end and sometimes not.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:54:22 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 01:49:51 AM »

We've discussed in in a couple of threads the way the ends of the looms (adhesive tape, cloth tape or sealant) IMHO use depended on who made the loom and there were likely hundreds of sub contractors making these in garages, basements or who knows where across the country.  Told this sorry before but as a kid we ran across a gas station out in the desert on a family vacation. The family was putting together the wire looms for power seats for some Ford model in about 1969. They had a jig that help the ends and plugs as they laid out the wires and wrapped them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
Bob -- I took a loop to the factory loom wrap and see that they did start at the terminal end and worked toward the molded plug end. So the harness was not opened, as you state.
On mine it appears that 5" of the snipped o/p wire was beyond the end of the loom wrap, but there was 6" of black tape wrapped 6".
Normal?

I did find a brand of loom tape that matches the sheen of the old tape, as used by my nearby restoration shop. It looks very good next to original 67 harnesses.
It's Elliott ET301 black. It's the right width and sheen. I found 2 rolls for $12.95 on ebay.

I also found some 3M Scotchlok 564 white connectors and hope to have all of this by next week.
Bill