Author Topic: 67 shelby trunk area  (Read 3045 times)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
67 shelby trunk area
« on: December 06, 2009, 07:51:06 PM »
I've come across this on a few cars over the years, were glue is sprayed 3 to 4 inches up from the gas tank lip. possibly to hold the trunk mat in place. Owner or as delivered?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 shelby trunk area
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:09:37 AM »
Checked what I have (approx 5-600 cars on record) don't see it as a typical San Jose or Shelby thing

Worth asking of course
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:47:06 AM »
If this was done at the assembly plant, most likely the result of a sloppy trunk gasket install.  Otherwise, maybe done by a previous owner at some point in time.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »
Jeff I would think that this would be very hard to detect, unless your looking at very original preserved type cars. I'm thinking the glue thats left would be from areas that didn't come into contact with the trunk mat.  Any thing with age would look like rust or were a trunk mat may have sat over the years and has bonded its self the the floor. like I pointed out, seen on '67 shelbys vs regular production mustangs. Not too much on the top of the trunk pans, just down by the gas tank lip area. The similarity of the glue pattern, not overly neat that you would assume would be done by an owner?  just find this strange?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
Will keep an eye open - but yes do have pictures of very nice original cars in that area and nothing showed up as reported.  Most of our cars really don't have rust - especially in that location.

Have had original mats that stuck to the top of the tank but don't think that was from a glue ;)  Do have a few original few mats around will check the backside to see if there is anything back there

Don't think it was a left over /overspray of adhesive from the weatherstrip or the like since that was brushed on
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)