Author Topic: Leaf Spring Center Bolt  (Read 3651 times)

Offline BBs70fastback

Leaf Spring Center Bolt
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
Here is a picture of leaf spring center bolts.  On top is the original bolt from my 70.  On bottom is the AMK center bolt I bought through Virginia Classic Mustangs. (love my other AMK stuff so far).  The head on the new one is a lot deeper.  I test fit the new center bolt on my springs and it is just about bottoming out in the hole of the rear axle plate.  Should I be concerned about this from a functional standpoint?  Grind it down?  Eaton Springs has center bolts, but I think the 5/16 size they list is too long and would also have to be cut off.

Any thoughts?

Barry
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline jwc66k

Re: Leaf Spring Center Bolt
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
Per my notes, the AMK tie bolt (listed as 378683-S, AMK p/n B-10222) is too short to work, at least on a 66 HP. That's before you do any grinding. The head style that was on your car is correct. I would be tempted to go to a local auto parts and brouse.
Keep in mind that AMK used best information available at the time, the Ford Car Parts book, to determine their hardware lists. The Ford Car Parts book lists service replacements parts, and not always factory originals, hardware included.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:13:29 AM »
Barry,
I believe you bought the 65-66 Mustang HiPo bolts (9" rear) which have longer heads to center the spring
to the axle. These bolts won't fit a standard 8" 65-66 rear axle.
See picture and you see the difference in length.
Texas Swede

Offline BBs70fastback

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 03:14:18 AM »
Thanks guys.

I will keep looking then.  The ones I bought were the only center bolts close to that size that I have found.  They are listed for 65-73.
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »
Yes this is an old post, but it was unresolved.  I'm putting my springs together - had to buy Detroit Eaton because my short leafs were broken at the center bolt.  I had them shot peened, then I gun blued them.  Upon reassembly I was looking at the center bolt and the head looks exactly like the original (non hi-po) version.  It is very long, which is appreciated since it pulls the springs together quite nicely.  It will have to be cut off, but that is no big deal.  The bottom line is that if you are looking for an original looking bolt, the ones from Detroit Eaton look good, they just need to be cut to length.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660