Author Topic: 69 mach driveshaft question  (Read 2704 times)

Offline 6s1138

69 mach driveshaft question
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. While disasembling my 69 M-code mach 1 resto project I observed color code stripes on the driveshaft RED/LAVENDER/DARK BLUE which jive with the buildsheet. But the red band is forward towards the tailshaft and the others rearward. This car still had assembly line u-joints so I dont think ends were swapped. Is this correct? Also there was a trace of a fourth color band approx 10.5 inches from rear ujoint but I couldnt discern the color. Has anyone seen this or know what may have been applied at that location?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 mach driveshaft question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 04:01:35 PM »
...........While disasembling my 69 M-code mach 1 resto project I observed color code stripes on the driveshaft RED/LAVENDER/DARK BLUE which jive with the buildsheet. But the red band is forward towards the tailshaft and the others rearward. This car still had assembly line u-joints so I dont think ends were swapped. Is this correct?

Is this a tube inside a tube driveline?

Is this a 4 speed car? or a 3 speed?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 6s1138

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 04:30:58 PM »
This is a 4 speed conventional driveline,(single tube).Just to clarify my first post, the color code bands appear opposite of buildsheet order. The buildsheet  reads LB LA RD and the color towards the front(trans tailshaft) is red. Might this have been since assembly or some later owership hankypanky.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 11:07:36 PM »
This is a 4 speed conventional driveline,(single tube).Just to clarify my first post, the color code bands appear opposite of buildsheet order. The buildsheet  reads LB LA RD and the color towards the front(trans tailshaft) is red. Might this have been since assembly or some later ownership hankypanky.

OK that helps - was confused (not the first time) by the color listed since I have buildsheets with LB not the dark blue your first post mentioned.  Since its a solid driveline the worker would not have really had any big  landmarks to tell them it should be installed one way of the other - other than the color codes.

Could come up with some possibilities of how it got that way - no way of being sure ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 6s1138

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:25:22 PM »
Thanks Jeff for your time and imput.