Author Topic: 69 Mach 1 Non-AC Firewall Insulator Pad and Cowl Insulator Pad  (Read 4517 times)

Offline VikingNJ

69 Mach 1 Non-AC Firewall Insulator Pad and Cowl Insulator Pad
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
Question for Everyone and Anyone:
Does anyone have any good quality photos that they could share & post showing the 69 mach 1 firewall pad out of the car and installed in the car only. Also looking for photos of the pad that is glued to the bottom of the cowl. It appears its yellowish insulating material about 3/4 inches thick with black plastic (garbage bag) liner.

Thanks for your help. :) :)

Offline VikingNJ

Re: 69 Mach 1 Non-AC Firewall Insulator Pad and Cowl Insulator Pad
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
To All:
One more question. Was the assembly line firewall insulator pad flat or was it contured? How can one prove that it was contoured or flat?
IMHO, I believe the firewall pad was flat when initially installed on the assembly line. Its the over time being compressed in areas such as heater assembly and pedal area taht made it appeared to be contoured. I guess the only way to prove it is if someone out there has an unused assembly line pad. Does anyone have an NOS pad they could post a photo of. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:16:43 PM by VikingNJ »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Does anyone have any good quality photos that they could share & post showing the 69 mach 1 firewall pad out of the car and installed in the car only. Also looking for photos of the pad that is glued to the bottom of the cowl.

Have other years (comparing San Jose to other two plants) out of cars but not a 69 example out of a car. Most are in pretty bad shape if you try and remove them at yards.  Best I have now - 69 Dearborn example

Never found a pad glued to the car. Could it be just the tar top surface melting or being heated to the car body or simply became attached to the spray seam sealer applied in some of the areas there?   

As a side note did find red oxide colored chalking/sealant applied to the bottom of the cowl on one San Jose car recently

It appears its yellowish insulating material about 3/4 inches thick with black plastic (garbage bag) liner.

Much like the headliner insulation of what we use to buy for wrapping hot water heaters. Had a shot of it but can't find it now. It was in such poor condition I might have not saved it

One more question. Was the assembly line firewall insulator pad flat or was it contured? How can one prove that it was contoured or flat?

Contoured. There are many compound areas where they are not glued or retained to the body yet they still have depressions at those locations. One example is a the master cylinder attachment point

Since its a soft piece these were likely only serviced (if at all) for maybe 2 years. Never seen not heard of anyone having a NOS firewall pad
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:03:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for responding and thanks for posting pad photo. If you needed one who would you recommend to contact first for a used pad. Its for a PS, PDB and non-A/C, mustang. Finally, If need to repair a pad what would you recommend to use on the black tar layer for filling in cracks and minor missing areas.
Nils

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
Hi

After "seeing" the repro pads (not contured) I took a day while at Barrett Jackson and removed items I needed for my 1969 Non AC 428SCJ car.

This is the "yellow batting" I used under my headliner (had an NOS one - but couldn't use as it SMELLED like mildew)

I can't find firewall pad photos (have this for comparison of snake oyl floor pads pads vs original

That may help if only to show the Mach one/COUGAR under seat "extra sound deadening" inserts (I didn't use as I have a std car)

Mark
P.S.  Will look for the firewall pad photos.  I did make some repairs , at one point I had 2 originals (to make one) BUT went the AZ way in the end.  (Guess I shouldn't have thrown out the pieces)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »
This is a San Jose 3/69 built Mach 1;

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for responding and thanks for posting pad photo. If you needed one who would you recommend to contact first for a used pad. Its for a PS, PDB and non-A/C, mustang. Finally, If need to repair a pad what would you recommend to use on the black tar layer for filling in cracks and minor missing areas.
Nils

Your going to need to find a Mustang or Cougar yard if your going to use a used pad - if your going to use a reproduction pad I would purchase the cheaper one (haven't found a benefit of buying the expensive one) and apply a heavy coat of sound deadener/undercoating to the surface to reproduce the original texture. Sort of a rain down effect

For a used pad you might start with West Coast Cougars in Oregen

Repairs are kind of the same way. Find a donor pad and transfer the broken/missing areas. The resurface that area  (or blend all the way across or at least along the bottom and drivers side where it will be visible ;) using the undercoating mentioned above.

PS thanks guys for posting more pictures.

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »
Jeff,
Nils

Your going to need to find a Mustang or Cougar yard if your going to use a used pad - if your going to use a reproduction pad I would purchase the cheaper one (haven't found a benefit of buying the expensive one) and apply a heavy coat of sound deadener/undercoating to the surface to reproduce the original texture. Sort of a rain down effect

For a used pad you might start with West Coast Cougars in Oregen

Repairs are kind of the same way. Find a donor pad and transfer the broken/missing areas. The resurface that area  (or blend all the way across or at least along the bottom and drivers side where it will be visible ;) using the undercoating mentioned above.

PS thanks guys for posting more pictures.

Rockhouse - does you pad have a identifiable pattern on the surface? Don't have any 69 or 70 San Jose cars handy to check myself - imagine that   ,,,,, LOL

Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
Jeff - if you are talking about the firewall pad, the answer is "yes" and I think you can see it in the picture I posted.  I don't have a better shot of just the pad right now.  The fluffy/garbage bag stuff above it was pretty much falling off (and still is)  :(
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
Jeff - if you are talking about the firewall pad, the answer is "yes" and I think you can see it in the picture I posted. .........

Thanks - could not remember (and had nothing handy to check) if San Jose continued to use a different supplier

Jeff Speegle

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969