Author Topic: 67 San Jose -reassembling the rear valance  (Read 6625 times)

Offline roddster

67 San Jose -reassembling the rear valance
« on: January 06, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »
Just reassembling my 67 GT 350's rear valence.  October 66 San Jose build.
  The two brackets that bolt up under the valence.  These support the bumper gaurds.  Are these natural with some body color overspray, or something else?
  I remember that Jeff said the valence is hung with two screws before is goes through the paint booth.  So thouse two screws are now white (orig.color) Just wanted to know about the brackets
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:06:20 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 67-reassembling the rear valence
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
Those brackets were typically black, installed on the car before the valence went on.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »
Also those brackets should be in before paint so bolt heads in trunk have body color on them
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »
++1 :)

The retaining screws are typically the third one in from each end
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
Since the brackets were installed before paint, I have a few more questions.

There are two bolts from the trunk side for each bracket.  My observations are:

1. The bolt that faces the rear of the car is installed, and is covered with paint.

2. The bolt that faces straight down appears to be unpainted, so was this installed after paint?  Is that accurate, and if so, what would the finish be -P&O or other?

3. Since the bracket was installed prior to paint, it would make sense that the part of the bracket that can be seen through the trunk, where the gas tank is not yet installed, would get overspray with color.  The amount of course would vary depending on the person doing the painting.  Has this been witnessed?

Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:22:26 AM »
There are two bolts from the trunk side for each bracket.  My observations are:

1. The bolt that faces the rear of the car is installed, and is covered with paint.

Yes the bolt head and sealant is normally found to be body color

2. The bolt that faces straight down appears to be unpainted, so was this installed after paint?  Is that accurate, and if so, what would the finish be -P&O or other?

Easier just to find a couple of pictures and post them will follow up - phones ringing again ;)

3. Since the bracket was installed prior to paint, it would make sense that the part of the bracket that can be seen through the trunk, where the gas tank is not yet installed, would get overspray with color.  The amount of course would vary depending on the person doing the painting.  Has this been witnessed?

Have not seen all of them with overspray and don't typically find a shadow on the back of the rear valance. It would depend allot on how far the painter leaned in and how much effort. they put in. I would guess that if the upper bolt had allot of paint (good coverage) on it then the angle was less and applied straight back towards the back of the car. In those examples there would be more chance of overspray on the back of the valance and the possibility of some on the bracket. Not as much on that particular bolt (shadow below), angle was greater and not as much or any related painted below and onto the surfaces below the opening

Other possibilities for  overspray (less likely in any great or noticeable amount) it would have come through the back up light holes ( way to odd of an angle for that to happen) or from the open ends of the valance - likely too far.   Its not common to find any overspray on the floors (bottom of the trunk floors, rear frame rails or other rear panels) from this paint application through that hole

As mentioned will post some examples - lets wee what we find ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:06:05 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
Pictures?  ???
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 07:13:29 PM »
67 San Jose question/discussion points #1 & #2

Point #3 example - Again not seen on all but at least some ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »
Thanks Jeff, The pictures help. My tank has never been out yet, it comes out tomorrow morning. The area under the tank should be in rather good, untainted condition. I already pulled the valance & brackets and I didn't recall seeing paint on them (overspray) but they were dirty and I had used a penetrant. Evaporust should yield a bit of reality there.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 10:39:53 PM »
Thanks Jeff, The pictures help. My tank has never been out yet, it comes out tomorrow morning. The area under the tank should be in rather good, untainted condition. I already pulled the valance & brackets and I didn't recall seeing paint on them (overspray) .............

Most of them I've seen had no overspray either but apparently at least some were :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »
Bringing up an old thread....

I have a question about the two studs that lock into the mounting tab on the back side of the rear valance...were these installed prior to the valance install?  If so, there might be evidence of overspray on these threaded studs, as the valance was installed and hanging during the painting process?  Anyone have any recommendation as to having the threaded studs installed or not installed in the brackets prior to paint?

Thanks,
Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 03:10:43 PM »
Bringing up an old thread....

I have a question about the two studs that lock into the mounting tab on the back side of the rear valance...were these installed prior to the valance install?  If so, there might be evidence of overspray on these threaded studs, as the valance was installed and hanging during the painting process?  Anyone have any recommendation as to having the threaded studs installed or not installed in the brackets prior to paint?

If they had been in place during the painting process the paint would have been removed from the threaded stud when the nut was run down the length of the shaft during installation possibly leaving only a little paint on the outward (best chance of getting paint from the direction sprayed) side of the stud facing the quarter panel.

I've not seen/noticed any of these little studs having exterior color on them when I removed them but that 's just my experience
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 12:01:06 PM »
I seem to be following roddster's posts around the forum.

I gather the valance is primed in red oxide (RO) on both sides.
It is then hung on either 3 (most common) or 2 screw holes in from each end.
The bracket is already in place. The bolt squished any sealant present.
The outside of car is sealed/primed. The trunk is not, but gets overspray. Some small amount might land on backside of valance.
Trunk is painted first and some overspray along tailight panel might land on back side of valance.

I think that's the process?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »
I seem to be following roddster's posts around the forum.

I gather the valance is primed in red oxide (RO) on both sides.
It is then hung on either 3 (most common) or 2 screw holes in from each end.
The bracket is already in place. The bolt squished any sealant present.
The outside of car is sealed/primed. The trunk is not, but gets overspray. Some small amount might land on backside of valance.
Trunk is painted first and some overspray along tailight panel might land on back side of valance.

I think that's the process?
It reads from your post that you are not aware the trunklid  and tailpanel on a Shelby were not painted on the car or at Ford. The valance was painted with the body at Ford but all of the add on fiberglass Shelby pieces were painted at Shelby American. The Shelby parts were painted off of the car. Backside of fiberglass pieces were painted black or left raw fiberglass from mfg depending on time period. A Shelby in the 1300's would typically have a all fiberglass hood and trunklid . They would be black on the back side with body color overspray . Only the steel innerstructure hood and trunk were purposely painted both sides. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 02:38:23 PM »
Bob -- I fully understand that a knock down car was delivered to SA. And that SA cut out the rear taillight panel and installed all the fiberglass pieces. But SA cut out a fully painted taillight panel -- inside and out.

I think you read too much into the word "trunk". I do mean the interior of the the trunk and not "trunk lid".
When I said the trunk gets some overspray, I mean the interior of the trunk surfaces. Just like the interior gets primer/sealer on various surfaces, so does any surface in the trunk.

My contention is that the trunk interior is painted exterior color first. A painter can't lean into the trunk interior if the taillight panel is painted first. And here I mean the stock Mustang taillight panel. It's painted just like any other Mustang rolling down the line.

But I appreciate you remembering my 1300s car. I bought an all fiberglass trunk lid because you guys were assured that this car would not have a steel/glass trunk lid. And I agree.

My hope with this post was to get into more detail on the trunk interior primer/sealer overspray and then color coat and how that relates to the valance. Trying to stay on topic.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion