Author Topic: 70 Mach 1 Dearborn rocker molding black out  (Read 12206 times)

Offline imnutz66

70 Mach 1 Dearborn rocker molding black out
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
I was reading the previous post about paint line on doors and I was wondering about the black-out area on Mach 1 doors and rockers - my car was re-painted before I got it, and nothing was done to the finish before the rocker mouldings were re-installed, and I have read that the areas between and below the mouldings need to be black and not body color. How was this done at the factory and what if any is the proper overspray?   ???
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:44:05 AM by J_Speegle »
70 Mach 1 351C 4V 4Speed
Dearborn
Born October, 1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Mach 1 rocker black
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
I was reading the previous post about paint line on doors and I was wondering about the blackout area on Mach 1 doors and rockers - my car was repainted before I got it, and nothing was done to the finish before the rocker mouldings were reinstalled, and I have read that the areas between and below the mouldings need to be black and not body color. How was this done at the factory and what if any is the proper overspray?   ???

Noticed this is your first post - Welcome

As you will notice, most of the time we will need to know when and where your car was built so we can provide the best possible answer to your question. You can either just put it permanently at the bottom each post by putting it in your signature or simply include it each time.  Often your VIN and the the real completion date (from your Marti report if you have one) works the quickest and easiest.

So with that said - When and where was the car built?  ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline SCJSTU

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:46:15 PM »
Jeff,
did body color also play a part?
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible  4spd-AC built 1-27-69
1967 Mustang S-Code 4-speed built Jan 1967 non therm
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi

1961 Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon 302V8
2004 Mach 1 Azure Blue

Offline imnutz66

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, great to find the site and be here. My car is a October 69 build in Dearborn, body is calypso coral, I will edit my signature when I get five minutes.

70 Mach 1 351C 4V 4Speed
Dearborn
Born October, 1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 01:15:20 AM »
...........My car is a October 69 build in Dearborn, body is calypso coral,....................

OK we can work with that information

There are what appears to be three areas of the body that were handled differently on 70 Dearborn Mach I's 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One was the taillight panel where the paint received a coat of black paint between the taillight openings. The effect blacked out the gap between the taillight housing and the applique panel as well as the gap between that panel and the trunk lock bezel or trim surround

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second black out detail appears to be a difference in the height of the normal pinch weld black out. Instead of stopping on the bottom horizontal surface of the rocker  they applied it much high to about where the side cladding would be attached.

Thirdly appears to be an effort to black out the gaps between the various cladding pieces attached to the front fender, door, rocker panel and the rear quarter panel. This appears to all have been applied with a brush as shown in the pictures.

So you have

------------------------------------------------------
1- Front fenders appear to have been blacked out allot. Looks like a brush and possibly spray to apply and since they were painted (with exterior color) IMHO they were likely blacked out on the other paint line (where all the individual parts were painted) rather than once they were installed on the car

2- Rocker panel (in addition to the pinch weld blackout)

3- Door edges (sorry no real good clear picture of the forward or rear edges painted on a Dearborn car IMHO they were done as they were at other plants) See blue arrow in the fender picture below for a glimpse of the black out. Like the (top of the L on the quarter panel black out) the black appears to stop at or about where the bottom edge of the chrome strip along the top of the cladding would be.

4- Rear quarter panel - basically a big "L" shape on both sides

The only conflict I found was the handling of the black out on the rocker panel as it curves into the door opening - towards the sill plate. On three cars I have pictures of the black stops at or near the edge where the panel curves into the door opening and one car it appears that it was blacked out all the way to the sill plate.  Since this is a single finding IMHO it was likely a mistake made by a fill in person or , since this car was an earlier car (117xxx verses 167xxx or 176xxx) it may be something that was changed between the time the examples were built.

Example of the paint break at the edge of the rocker/sill on the "later" cars (Approx Oct - on)

In this one (green arrow ) you can see part of the front edge of the rocker panel black out shown in the other picture

As always - this is based on what I currently have available and my current understanding based on this data. Hope this helps
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:37:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline imnutz66

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 03:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the great info Jeff, exactly what I was looking for. Even though I have an early # before 117, I think the line looks better at the top of the rocker curve than all the way to the sill plate, I think that will be my course of action, thanks again
70 Mach 1 351C 4V 4Speed
Dearborn
Born October, 1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:53:24 PM »
Thanks for the great info Jeff, exactly what I was looking for. Even though I have an early # before 117, I think the line looks better at the top of the rocker curve than all the way to the sill plate, I think that will be my course of action, thanks again

Your welcome.

One of the problems is figuring out where any car is in the "pattern or change" unless we have Marti reports on all the cars. You car may have been built after 117xxx for all we know
Jeff Speegle

Offline imnutz66

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 07:42:26 AM »
Just one more quick one, the black used appears to be the same as used on the hood center stripe, would that be correct?

Joe
70 Mach 1 351C 4V 4Speed
Dearborn
Born October, 1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
Just one more quick one, the black used appears to be the same as used on the hood center stripe, would that be correct?

Joe

Do not believe so- it appears to be a smooth semi gloss like what was used for the pinch welds IMHO there appears to have been IMHO a can with a brush and black part at one or more locations along the line IMHO. Have seen it used when workers missed the head light black outs, pinch weld black out in a section or area, at the engine compartment to body color on top of the engine compartment walls and other locations
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 01:13:02 AM »
Hi Jeff, I am in the process of doing a rotisserie resto om my 1970 Dearborn Mach 1 R-code, calypso coral with white interior and would like any info and pics you are willing to share regarding black out on the pinch weld area and other. I see this post has a number of pictures but I can not access them, would it be possible to get these pictures. Thanks
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Mach 1 Dearborn rocker molding black out
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
Took the opportunity to add some pictures, make them more uniform  and freshen a few things up

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »
Jeff, thanks so much for the pictures, they are awesome details and really helps me better understand the different concepts used to blackout the rocker molding area on the bottom of the 1970 Mach 1.
My Mach1 was built on Sept 04, 1969, I have the Marti Report and a letter from Ford verifying all the options and build details.
I also have some pictures for tail panel blackout, which show three separate area blackouts as compared to these with have it all black out from light bezel to light bezel, which method is 1970 Dearborn method?
Regarding the blackout of the door sill area, I have noticed in various posts that a vinyl/plastic angle strip was also used on some cars to black out the 1/2" wide area next to the rocker molding.
Not sure how that would have been attached and is it correct for the Dearborn cars?
Can you elaborate on this and do you have any pics, I understand NPD now sells this vinyl/plastic strip exclusively.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 06:53:20 PM »
Jeff, thanks so much for the pictures, they are awesome details and really helps me better understand the different concepts used to blackout the rocker molding area on the bottom of the 1970 Mach 1.
My Mach1 was built on Sept 04, 1969, I have the Marti Report and a letter from Ford verifying all the options and build details.
I also have some pictures for tail panel blackout, which show three separate area blackouts as compared to these with have it all black out from light bezel to light bezel, which method is 1970 Dearborn method?

If this is from your early car and the paint was all original copy what you found and make sure you keep the documentation. What you found may be something they tried at first them discovered it was easier/quicker/cheaper just to paint the larger one area

Regarding the blackout of the door sill area, I have noticed in various posts that a vinyl/plastic angle strip was also used on some cars to black out the 1/2" wide area next to the rocker molding.
Not sure how that would have been attached and is it correct for the Dearborn cars?
Can you elaborate on this and do you have any pics, I understand NPD now sells this vinyl/plastic strip exclusively.

Guess you tried the search feature since this was discussed a while back - Found the thread from 2012 using "plastic 70 Mach rocker " Few things have changed since that thread like the productions being available

I think the question of when the plants started using the strip may still be in question. I do have one or two unrestored Oct 69 built Dearborn Mach I's without the strip
Jeff Speegle

Offline BlackMcode1970mach1

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »
So would a black car have the same process? Maybe its a stupid question I have a all black car it has  been repainted red apparently involved in a fender bender at one time. Dearborn car too I might ad. Mark

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »
So would a black car have the same process? Maybe its a stupid question I have a all black car it has  been repainted red apparently involved in a fender bender at one time. Dearborn car too I might ad. Mark

Mark have no examples so I have no idea or documentation to base an idea on. I can't recall seeing any but its not often you see a stripped down (wide side cladding off) black 70 Dearborn Mach I

Would guess that it would be treated like the pinch weld black out and would be something workers would be instructed to skip but if one got the detail that would not surprise me

Good question
Jeff Speegle