Author Topic: Air cleaner snorkel preparation?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

Air cleaner snorkel preparation?
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:37:04 AM »
Hi All,

I was wanting to tank dip my snorkel to remove paint but was not sure if there were any rubber parts or gaskets in there that would get damaged. Is it safe to do this?

Thanks.
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Air cleaner snorkel preparation?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 12:57:27 PM »
There are no rubber items but the deflector's opening is done by a wax pellet that might be damaged by some chemicals. Try taking the unit apart. The spring's first, then there's a stamped hex nut inside that requires a crows foot wrench to undo. The rest comes apart easy enough. I dip sometimes then bead blast and paint. When I re-assemble mine, I "adjust" the deflector to un-heated air. Somehow you just don't need one in California.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
There are no rubber items but the deflector's opening is done by a wax pellet that might be damaged by some chemicals. Try taking the unit apart. The spring's first, then there's a stamped hex nut inside that requires a crows foot wrench to undo. The rest comes apart easy enough. I dip sometimes then bead blast and paint. When I re-assemble mine, I "adjust" the deflector to un-heated air. Somehow you just don't need one in California.
Jim
Thanks Jim,

Just the info I needed. I'll take a look at it and may just glass bead the whole thing.

Dan.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:19 PM »
Jim
Ok a few more questions so I don't break this thing! Spring and flap are out.
Does the round thing thats on the stalk with the other spring around it come out? Seems to be threaded - I'm guessing this is the adjustment. Is this the wax pallet? Is it safe to bead blast this little part inside the snorkel?
Anyone know what size crows foot I should get to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Dan.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag: