Author Topic: 69 Firewall Pad/Insulator  (Read 1876 times)

Offline VikingNJ

69 Firewall Pad/Insulator
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:40:58 AM »
I am trying to look for an excellent used firewall pad for a non-a/c car. Anyone got any ideas besides looking on ebay. I am also looking for the insulation that was attached to the bottom of my cowl panel. It looked factory installed, did 69 cars come like that? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Firewall Pad/Insulator
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:45:38 AM »
First someone will need to know where your car was built to offer you the correct s5tyle. The face differed between what San Jose installed and what Dearborn & NJ used.

Never seen any one offer the fiberglass with light black/dark gray plastic covering. Always goes to pieces (what ever is still there) when you try to move it
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »
Jeff, thanks for responding, I forgot the car was built in Dearborn. So is it true that Ford did install a fiberglass like pad on the bottom of the cowl of a 69. I believe I still have mine whats left of it. It was covered with plastic sheet almost looking like a black garage bag. Did all 69 car come like that or did a select few come like with it.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
My '69 San Jose Mach 1 has the insulation covered by the "black garbage bag" on the interior underside of the cowl area.  I don't know if it was part of the Mach 1 extra insulation or if all '69s had this.  As Jeff said, the insulation stuff has all turned to dust and is falling out (I removed most of it just to stop the "rain").
Jim
'66 GT FB