Author Topic: Frame rail repair  (Read 1802 times)

Offline 2112

Frame rail repair
« on: April 18, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »
New guy here.

Just wondering if anyone has used this tool to correct the dents in the frame rails caused by previous owners jacking their cars up without proper protection?

Since most of the dents are on the underside, do you think the floor pans are stout enough to provide backing support when pushing the dents out?

Offline 2112

Re: Frame rail repair
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »
Whoops, Mods, feel free to move to Body and paint. I am most interested in 67's but this is a more general question.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »
I cannot see how you would get that into frame rail, where? the back end of the rail? And you are right, I doubt that the floor sheet metal would hold up...even if you inserted a steel shim stock to press against, it seems like this tool would tear the welds loose. That's my take on this tool anyways.
I'm sure others have had to do some repair, and I will need to also so I'll try following this thread and see where it goes. I'm maybe thinking the "spot-welded" nails and possibly a bit of heat, but that might be for minor repairs I'm thinking.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:08:12 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 2112

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »
I agree.

Bob Gaines described accessing the insides of the frame rail thru the floor then fixing the access when done.

Yes, I thought one could access the rail through the end after cutting the spot welds on that end piece.

But I am asking if anyone has successfully done this.

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »
I have seen that tool used and it is an amazing idea and design.
However it is not really designed for use with the older cars like we have.
It's design is for the newer cars mostly at the front and rear when a panel is removed for replacement and you then have access into the end of the rail and need to fix a dent or kink.

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar