Author Topic: 1967-68 Safety Convenience System - Application, Components, Wiring, Lenses and Bulbs  (Read 41324 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I'm seeking to establish more undersatnding of details about this rare option.
Questions:

1.) There was an early and a late version of the lamps for 1967 models. (early used a blue and red colored, backlit font as apposed to the all red, with white font lenses on the later 67's and the 68's) When did the change occur, and did this change-over differ much between the assembly plants?

2,) What was the arrangement of the lamps within the bezels? I realize the Air Conditioned cars had the panel in the console and non-A/C cars in the panel over the radio. question 2a.) I am assembling my console mounted lamps at this time and there are marker daubs on the backside of the console panel identifying the color of the correct (round) plastic connector to the lamp body, but I do not have a way of identifying the absolute location of which lamp (e.g. "PARK", "BELT", "DOOR", "FUEL" ) goes into what location. Memory serving as my only guide without a wiring diagram tell me that Top/Left is "BELT", Top/Right is "PARK", Bottom/Left is "DOOR" and Bottom/Right is "FUEL" Question 2b.) What then, also is the correct order from Left to Right on cars with these over the radio? (non-A/C cars)

It is possible we could help establish fact from fiction about these panels with more discussion of unrestored systems.

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

Here, I have some shots of the 2 different lamp harnesses, one for my 1967 console A/C car, and the other is of a 1967 non A/C . It is possible they are the same as the 68's but I do not have images on the 68's.
If you look closer you can see the color coded marks on the bezels. The last image, when combined with other images, shows the wiring colors at the two white and green connectors...if it helps anyone in harness restoration.
I took some pictures of a 68 Convertible main harness, door harness and front to back harness with some additional part numbers on some of those harnesses. I tried uploading them but it kicked back and didn't take them. Let me know if you feel I should try again to upload them.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:55:13 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

Notable details from research I have done on an early 67 San Jose and a 68 Convertible (unk. plant & production date) on the systems I have available to collect information from.
This information may OR MAY NOT apply to other 67's and 68 models. Please contribute further information and knowledge you may have. This is a working document subject to changes.

1.) 67's and 68's use a completely different main harness from each other.
2.) The RELAY is the same for both. The overall design is the same for both. Part number on the relay for all is C6AF-10A986-A
3.) 67's use a round "bullet" connector at the door harness to the main Convenience harness connections. 68's use a somewhat clear, plastic "pin" connector at the door harness to main Convenience harness connector.
4.) 67's have the Low Fuel wire built into the tailamp harness, running down the left rocker panel. 68's had this (green with white tracer) wire running down the right side rocker (at least on convertibles)
5.) The relay is close to the ignition switch on the 67's and close to the Park Brake on the 68's
6.) There is a red wire at the relay for both years, that runs out to under the hood, through a hole up high on the cowl, directly behind the furthest right bolt (of the 4) at the rear of the right side strut brace or export brace. This red wire connects (on the early 67's at least) with a male "bullet" connector into a female, 3-opening "bullet" connector, plugged into the middle hole (other 2 are not connected to anything) and runs along the pinch weld of the cowl, (through a wiring holder over the brake booster) joining the rest of the headlamp harness and runs in tandem with the headlamp harness in front of the radiator, over to the starter relay. It is connected on top of the main cable going TO the starter. (functions as a bulb-test in "start" to the FUEL lamp)
7.) Early 67's used different lamps than the later 67's and the 68's. Production changes are unknown at this time when they switched to the later type. These early lamps had a blue "font" for the DOOR and FUEL lights while having a red "font" for the PARK light and the BELT light. I say "font" because they were a blackout round lens till they were backlit, and they lit up only the font in the colors mentioned. The later 67's and 68's (currently being reproduced by Scott Drake) were all red lenses with white lettering on the faces. You could tell what they are for, even before they are lit, where as the early design was more incognito.
8.) These lights were in different locations depending if the car had Air Conditioning or not. A/C cars had the lights in the mandatory console (to have this option) Non- A/C cars were all over the radio (where the AC register would be on the AC cars) and did not require having the console to have this option.
9.) There are different door wiring harnesses depending on other options ordered. (e.g. with or without stereo door speakers and with or without door courtesy lamps)

Feel free to add more info about this option. There is little discussed anywhere about proper restoration methods. Where they tape to the main vehicle harness, where the relays mount on various productions and so on.
Please help shed light on other areas you may be aware of.

Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

I have a 67 GTA convertible with the Convenience option. It was built 11-04-66 and has the early lights. One thing I did not see in your text is the door ajar indicator uses a special bulb that flashes, it is now obsolete so NOS is your only option. The reason I understood that it flashed was if the door was left open for a long period a regular bulb may melt the lens.   

Offline 67gtasanjose

One thing I did not see in your text is the door ajar indicator uses a special bulb that flashes, it is now obsolete so NOS is your only option. The reason I understood that it flashed was if the door was left open for a long period a regular bulb may melt the lens.   
Interesting about the bulb. One of my early lenses is warped some from heat...but it's the PARK lens.
I'll have to test my bulbs, see if we have any "flashers" among them ;) You wouldn't by chance have a bulb number on that, do you?
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

Also, RUPPSTANG, Is your car SJ or other?  Can you note where your lamps are in your console? (top left is_____, top right is_____ , bottom left is_____ , bottom right is_____. If you can, also see where your Low Fuel relay mounts. On the Wiper motor bracket? Thanks for your info :)
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

Our GTA is SJ car. The upper LH is Seat Belts, upper RH is Park Brake, lower LH is Door Ajar and lower RH is Low Fuel. My owners manual printing is dated August 1966 and in it's bulb chart it calls for 1895 for all four. Some where I found a different chart that call for a 1891 b4 9/06/66 and a 1445 after for Low Fuel and Seat Belt. Door Ajar and Park Brake calls for 256. 
I also have a 1968 High County Special built in SJ the owners manual from it November 1967 Calls for a 1895 for Belt and Low Fuel. 257 for Door Ajar a Park Brake.  I would have to conclude that there were issues on the early cars with lens damage with the 1895's.
Hope this helps. Marty

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
The C6AF-10A368-A Relay is specific to the function of the (Low Fuel) Light. It is not a relay for the overall panel, just Low Fuel. The (Seat Belt) Light uses a C7AB-10B924-B1 Relay. The (Park Brake) and (Door Ajar) Lights do not use Relays. 
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline 67gta289

Did some documentation of the stuff I currently have, see attached. Contains lens info and bulb info.  Not claiming correctness, just reporting some reference points.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline gwells67

I am hoping you guys can help.  After 25 years, I've finally decided to get my panel back into my car and working.  The good news is it's 99% working!  I have one issue with the Door switch on the passenger side.  Do these symptoms sound like a bad switch or something else?

1. Key on, Doors closed: Light comes on
2. Key on, Driver's Door Open: Light goes off
3. Key on, Passenger door open: Light is still on

I have power all the way to the passenger switch..now what?  Can I fix or adjust that switch?

Also: I made up early '67 lenses that look very good when installed.  I've got a bunch if anyone wants a set.  I am also  looking for a deluxe center plate as I've got my AC out of the car right now and my lights are in my console.

Thanks,
Greg
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:37:51 AM by gwells67 »

Offline ruppstang

Hi Greg,
Welcome to the site.
The way the door ajar light should work is when door opens the switch grounds and lights the light. It should not light with doors closed. I believe your problem is in the drivers door, the switch seems to be doing the opposite of what it is suppose to. I believe that there is some adjustment but there may be other issues. FYI there are LH and RH switches. That could be the problem someone used the wrong side. I have a switch but can not remember what side it is for.
Good luck Marty

Offline gwells67

Thanks, I've been waiting for years to find a group who knows about this option!

Interesting..So if I unplug my driver's door, the theory is that the passenger door should work? 

I think my latches are marked and I know they both cmd out of the car together 30 or so years ago but maybe they are marked wrong and the sides are switched?  I didn't think you could even fit them to the wrong sides but maybe?

t wonder if you put them in on the wrong sides they could behave this way?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:38:36 AM by gwells67 »

Offline 67gtasanjose

1. Key on, Doors closed: Light comes on
2. Key on, Driver's Door Open: Light goes off
3. Key on, Passenger door open: Light is still on

I have power all the way to the passenger switch..now what?  Can I fix or adjust that switch?

Greg

Marty is correct. The each door switch simply GROUNDS the circuit, causing the circuit to be completed within the main convenience wiring harness (that harness has a factory splice near the center of the dash to join together the wire coming from each door. I believe the splice is at the connection in the middle of the dash where the lamps harness plug in). Each door harness simply through ONE wire, connects the simple "grounding" switch mounted onto the door latches, to the main convenience harness. (connected within each of the door pillars, behind the kick panels) The DOOR lamp itself has a 12V, fused key on power source. (on 67's connect up to the post on the back of the ignition switch. On the 68's, it is connected onto a power source on the main vehicle undedash harness. I believe the 68 connection is between the fuse box and the ignition switch) The 12V ignition source operates the whole convenience panel and the convenience wiring does not get a 12V signal from any other source. (with the exception of a "start" signal from the stareter relay, out by the battery) There isn't anything really complicated about the DOOR lamp circuit, so diagnosing it should be rather simple and straight forward. The only somewhat complicated circuit is the FUEL. The PARK light works from a GROUND signal from a grounding switch on top of the Park Brake Assembly. The BELT light is a constantly grounded bulb with a remote timer relay and it operates exactly the same as other 67-68 Mustangs with the Seatbelt (standard equipment) warning light.

It sounds like you are somehow back-feeding through the drivers switch. What you need is a wiring diagram and to do some continuity checks, checking mostly THE GROUND WIRE that grounds the system (behind the instr. cluster I believe) Also, make sure you do not have anything cross-wired in the door harness or in the pillars.

I am at work now, but I think I have the diagram at home. I know I can look at my harness easily enough. A simple beginning would to ensure the ground wire is grounded good and that you have continuity of that ground everywhere it need to go. ( I really know wiring, don't believe the drivers door is the problem unless it somehow was cross-wired to any other door harness wiring)

Hope it helps, I'll try and remember to look into this tonight.

AND... on eBay, there are 2 Convenience panel bezels for sale right now. One is the console face (a nice one) and the other is for No A/C bezel (also looks nice)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191204064076?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191204070699?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Richard
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:25:04 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

I just recieved an eBay order containing early 67 Cougar items and includes the plug-in harness and lamps with two early style lenses (now I have the PARK lens I needed AND a second extra DOOR lens) 4 lamp housings, 4 lamp bezels and bulbs. Obviously, the Cougar's padded console piece is Cougar-ONLY but the rest is JUST LIKE my Console set-up in the Mustang. Two bulbs btw, are the GE 256 (flashers) and other two are GE 1445.

Within this thread, I would like to set up a pictures showing the CORRECT orientation and layout of all related wiring, bulbs with the correct part numbers and something showing all correct factory locations for various components within this two-year range of 67-68. Using Marty's locations of where his various lenses are layed out on his console type, I can then also show the correct layout for the NON-A/C cars using the back of a bezel I recently had my hands on.

This is a tall order since nearly 100% of many cars with this option have been tampered with at some point, whether a radio install, restoration or almost any under dash work could have resulted in items being left loose (disconnected) moved, cut and whatever.

I can upload pictures with paint scribes on the backs of Non-AC bezels and Console located setups as well as some of the scribes of marks on the lamp bodies themselves (though those marks are rather obscure). Using J I can also photograph wiring going out to the Starter relay and the course it presently is going on my car, but I know I had removed it about 17 years ago for underhood repaint, so it is maybe not the best sample.

I have photographs of a 68 (convertible) wiring harness and where it was taped onto the main underdash harness also available.

There really is so much NOT KNOWN about this rare option. I hope others who have this option can volunteer images from unrestored samples to help others, such as myself, who wish to reassemble things accurately as possible.

Thanks for reading,
Richard
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:31:16 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline gwells67

OK...I have a wiring diagram as well so I will check that ground wire (I know exactly what you are talking about).  I saw that plate on ebay but $200 seems pricey, maybe I'll email him.

I'll post pics on my lenses--they came out nice!

Thanks