Author Topic: 1967-68 Safety Convenience System - Application, Components, Wiring, Lenses and Bulbs  (Read 41587 times)

Offline luddde

Thanks a lot for all your answers and all the pictures! Still wondering about the location and if someone have the opportunity to take the measurements I mentioned earlier i would be very greatful.
7T03C147438
76B
X
6U
15L
W

Factory options:
7.35X14-4 Ply Rated Tires - White Sidewall Rayon Tires - Console - Deluxe Steering Wheel - Power Steering - AM Radio - Exterior Decor Group - Interior Decor Group - Tinted Glass - Deluxe Seat Belts - Wire Wheel Covers

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Still wondering about the location ...

Use the "Search" feature under heading of 1967-1968, try and locate the thread on Conveinence Control Panel Details, I believe somewhere in that rather lengthy thread has the locations mentioned. You will learn at least a thing or two more by doing so, I promise  ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

Regarding order, they are from left to right, non console installation, as viewed from the front; red, blue, green, yellow.  For consoles, when viewed from front, are; red upper left, blue lower left, yellow upper right, green lower right.

Refer to the pictures to get the context of the four colors mentioned.

Now to map the four colors to the lenses.

yellow = park
green = fuel
blue = door
red = belt

This data is for 67, I don't have 68. 

As far as lense diameters and font detail, that will take a while as I have a lot of irons in the fire.

Hope this helps.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

NEW pictures as I try and piece things back together. These might help others. THIS IS FOR THE 67 MUSTANG CONVENIENCE HARNESS, including the door harness. I understand the 68 system to be slightly different, so this is for 67-ONLY.

I did not get a chance to organize these like I would like.
What is pictured are door latches and their switches. Aftermarket Alloy Metals Door Harness (deluxe interior & w/door speakers), a sketch I drew up with several closer shots of the same sketching showing lengths of the main harness (currently NOT reproduced) Images of the varying wires that are coming out of this harness, the low fuel relay and seatbelt timer. The ends of my harness are missing, plugs are cut off. The tape measure is used to demonstrate the total length of the dash harness
(92 inches)  the sketches show how far from the left end A-pillar connectors, how far away the respective wiring might protrude from the harness.

BTW, IF SOMEBODY HAS IMAGES OF THESE ENDS WITH THEIR FACTORY CONNECTIONS THAT WOULD HELP TO ME and I am sure others too!

Feel free to discuss what might be in these pictures. Try using the image number to limit confusion if responding to a particular image or images.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:40:30 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
BTW, IF SOMEBODY HAS IMAGES OF THESE ENDS WITH THEIR FACTORY CONNECTIONS THAT WOULD HELP TO ME and I am sure others too!

Richard - which ends are your interested in seeing pictures of?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

I could use images of BOTH ends of the CONVENIENCE UNDERDASH HARNESS, at the A-pillars. There should be a "bullet" style connection for the door ajar light on each side and then another connection for the LOW FUEL (believe it is a push-lock with pin, not a bullet style) on drivers side for coupes/fastback. Until I understand differently, convertibles seem to have the low fuel run down the passengers side, coupe/fastback low fuel wire runs drivers side as part of the taillight harness.
Richard Urch

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
At each end, you should have a yellow molded female bullet connector for the black/violet door ajar wire.

I know what the low fuel line ends for a 68, and it may be different for the 67, as you suggest.  For 68, the mate for the low fuel line goes to a two pin plug connector that has its other line being the normal fuel line gauge.  That plug attaches to the low fuel tail-light harness.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:03:41 PM by midlife »
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline denonito

BELT or BELTS?
Don't know the exact car from which my configuration came. I left the lights in the console bezel, but wiring has been in a box for 30 years. I don't think I have moved lights, but they are as shown in pics. Belts and Park in white with red background, FUEL and DOOR in white w/blue background.
Harness is what came with Bezel, unfortunately only C7ZB is left of P/N. on tag :(
I'll add better pics of lights for reference, that was my phone camera.
I do appreciate when others post pics. When I was involved more in my car, It was so much more difficult to get good information. A lot of time at car shows...
I'm probably going to put it on Ebay, not sure if complete or in pieces.
I tried to track down the harnesses, sending units et al. but it seems like a task better suited for Hercules....where is that white flag Emoticon when you need it....

>>>Better picture of Park light...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:18:37 AM by denonito »
7R01A San Jose built, UEK1xx CA Black/Yellow

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Harness is what came with Bezel, unfortunately only C7ZB is left of P/N. on tag :(

The full P/N is C7ZB 10B923-B. Very faint, but just able to make it out with some contrast & level adjustments. The '75 MPC doesn't list this P/N, so I can't help with determining the original application.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gta289

The Dec 67 MPC lists:

10B923-A as "wiring - instrument cluster warning lamp indicator panel"
10B923-B as "wiring - console panel warning lamp indicator panel"

I've got each type, and the difference is that the -B has longer wires due to the location of the lamps on the console.

This particular harness is, however, the head of the beast.  The easiest and most visible section of wiring to remove.  Takes seconds.  The rest could take more than an hour depending on the conditions.  I would guess that many procure the lights and 10B923 harness (1) not knowing that there is an A and B version, and (2) incorrectly assuming that it will plug into the main harnesses they already have.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 196667Bob

A few weeks ago, over on VMF, questions were posted in regard to the Lens colors and type of Bulbs used in the 1967 Safety Convenience Panels. After doing some research in my resources, I replied with the following information. Since we have a pretty good thread here already, I thought it would be good to add to it with what I found.

According to the 1960-68 MPC, which has revisions from 1967 and 1968. the PARK" lens was "RED" for both early and late 67's. The "BELT" was also "RED" both early and late. Prior to 12/01/66, the "FUEL" was "GREEN" and the "DOOR" was "BLUE". Between 12/01/66 and 5/15/67, the "FUEL" and "DOOR" were both "BLUE". After 5/15/67, all lenses were "RED".

As far as the bulbs go, I have heard separate comments that the "FUEL" and the "DOOR" both used "flasher bulbs". Hopefully, the following will “straighten” this out :

The 1967 MPC - the bulb section shows nothing for the Safety Convenience bulbs.

The 1960-68 MPC, however, gives a good history :

Low Fuel and Seat Belt Warning - Prior to 9/06/66 # 1891 (14 volt, elongated glass, 3.4 watts ); after 9/06/66, # 1445 (14.4 volt, round glass, 1.87 watt. I believe that this change reflects trying to reduce the melting of the lenses by using a higher voltage, less wattage bulb, plus "moving it slightly farther away from the lens by using the round bulb instead of the elongated one.

Door Ajar and Parking Brake Warning - No changes are shown during production year. Bulb # 256 (C4SZ-13466-A) is specified. This is a 14 volt, 0.27 amp (3.8 watt), elongated glass, flasher bulb. Apparently since it was a flasher and not on constantly, Ford felt there was no reason to go with the round glass version like they did for the Low Fuel and the Seat Belt Warning. If you are concerned, the round glass version is # 257. However, I would first check to be sure it fits into the opening provided for the elongated # 256 bulbs.

The 1965-72 MPC “mirrors” what is shown in the 1960-68 MPC.

I also decided to check other resources that I have, and here is what I found :

1) The Electrical Assembly Manual - No Listing of any Bulb #'s.

2) Shop Manual (First Printing - March 1967) - For "Warning Lights, Panel, or Lamp Kits", only notes Seat Belt Warning Light ( # 1891) and Parking Brake Warning Light (# 257).

3) Service Specification Booklet (First Printing - August 1966) - Same as Shop Manual except shows # 251 instead of # 257 for Parking Brake Warning Light (this is obviously a misprint as a # 251 is a "miniature flange base bulb", and would not fit).

4) Owners Manual (First Printing - August 1966 Printing) - Shows for "Safety Convenience Package", 6 (?) - # 1895 bulbs are required. I can understand the #1895 changing to a # 1891 (the # 1891 has less wattage, thus less chance of melting the lenses), but "6 required" ?

Personally, with all of the apparent confusion/ indecision, I would rely on what is shown in the 1960-68 MPC (as maybe they had figured it out by then) :

# 1445 for Seat Belt Warning and Low Fuel

# 256 for Door Ajar and Parking Brake Warning

Hope this has been "enlightening".

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 67gtasanjose

I've yet to ever see or here of a GREEN "FUEL" lamp. Interesting but I wonder if ever a green lens was ever produced. Mine are blackout  style (no white font), and only 2 are blue and 2 are red. I think I have read the bolb chang-up and honestly, no matter what, I would take absolutely NO CHANCE trying to use a larger wattage bulb no matter what the car was delivered with. Honestly, I would advocate use of LED bulbs for this option. These lenses are fragile already, they do not need any more HEAT! (I suppose if somebody never hooked up a "live battery" to it, it wouldn't matter.
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

Bob,

Many thanks for the research and organized report out.

Richard,

I've never seen a green lens either.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 196667Bob

Richard : Good idea on the LED's (who would ever look at the bulbs), and probably the safest bet. Obviously the warping/ melting was a problem as they kept going to less wattage bulbs. But, they didn't have the "luxury" of switching to LED's back then.

Richard and John, I also have never seen, nor even heard of someone having, a Green Lens. However, we all know that many things put in the MPC's may have been "thoughts" that were never carried through. This of course brings up another "burr in my side" ; if that's the case, why didn't they correct that when the 1965-72 MPC was printed ?? I think I could ask that question of many items. Maybe it was just an "inconvenience: to do so.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline ruppstang

I have never seen a green fuel lens either. Perhaps you mistook the wire socket identifier color green as a green lens. The fuel socket is green.
Marty