Author Topic: 65 dearborn trunk  (Read 1984 times)

Offline 1965 t5

65 dearborn trunk
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:35:23 AM »
I saw in another older thread that the trunk was sprayed with a red oxide primer and then color shot over it with fading towards the top and front.  Were they all red oxided in the trunk?  I took mine for rust roushing, but I spose it could have been very dark red primer.  Any clarification here?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 dearborn trunk
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:38:51 PM »
Since you didn't mention a specific time period during the 1 1/2 year production period will response in general terms.

Unlike other Ford models (read more expensive cars) Mustangs were sprayed no dipped so allot of the surfaces where the spray gun and paint spray could not reach were left bare steel. With that said, any surfaces forward of the trunk surfaces that were easily visible from the rear with the trunk lid open would normally have some body color spray or over spray, red oxide or gray primer (other years and plants) overspray or bare steel depending on the painters individual effort, height and possibly age

Here are some pictures towards the front of the trunk area. These are the areas were we normally see the biggest differences between different levels of effort resulting in no body color to allot of body color. Even less or more red oxide primer

No paint

Minimal to no overspray

Allot more overspray

A few shots of the general area as well as sound deadener application to the quarter panels. Typically all visible surfaces have a great looking and nice amount of body color though runs were allowed/left if they were produced in these areas while they would not be acceptable by inspectors on the exterior of the body

Though a bit IMHO unusual we have one example (from one of Mike's unrestored cars) were the painter didn't put much effort in the quarter panel to taillight panel area for some reason. The lower pictures show a much more normal amount of paint and effort.

No Effort

Minimal effort

More typical

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:34:55 PM »
Lost interest on the PS,  ;)  DS is more covered.

A little light on the trunk hinge area, red primer visible.

The rest of the trunk is pretty well covered. 

Think any of the painters from 1965 could ever imagine someone would be analyzing their work 50 years later?  ;D
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 1965 t5

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:05:11 PM »
What is the preferred red oxide primer to replicate the coloring of the original red oxide?  I have seen different shades on the market.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »
What is the preferred red oxide primer to replicate the coloring of the original red oxide?  I have seen different shades on the market.

Since straight primers are porous by design many choose a primer sealer For this many use DP 74 and tint it if needed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)