Author Topic: 65-66 Door Latches-Gold or Clear Zinc  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
65-66 Door Latches-Gold or Clear Zinc
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »
Looking at various build dates, here is what I have seemed to find.  The earlier (looking only at Dearborn on these particular cars) 1964-early 65 cars seem to have originally had gold door latches.  The later ones appear to have a clear zinc or maybe cad. plating (in other words, it's silver) and the latch "teeth" and rivets that are marked "L" and "R" are gold though.

I think that is what I am seeing, but it is difficult to determine because the gold plating on those early ones is really thin and does not hold up at all.  Most of it is kind of worn off with the silver/clear under it.

Any other observations?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65-66 Door Latches-Gold or Clear Zinc
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:25:14 PM »
Door latches are all over the place on original finish.  Most have a galvanized base with zinc dichromate rivets holding the latch to the base.  The latch outer cover can be shiny silver or zinc dichromate... or maybe just a washed out zinc dichromate?

Additionally, have found the latches to originally been dipped in cosmoline.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:00:30 AM »
Thanks for the response, Charles.  I'm finding exactly what you state.  I also forgot to mention the cosmoline part.  I saw that on quite a few latches too.

Offline Vonzeek

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
Charles,
can you tell me what is cosmoline, is it a inti-rust coating or lubrication. Also, my latches match the descriptions above but I haven't found any Ford markings on the latch.

Online rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 03:01:40 PM »
Not sure if it helps but I noticed nice detail in this shot of an unrestored eBay car;

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:12:20 AM »
As a follow up to this post:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=974.0

I'm trying to decide whether or not to replate my door latches, observing the backs of the "base" it appears the entire assembly was zinc dichromate even though the outer latch cover shows very little remains of zinc dichromate (the PO had repainted them over and in scrubbing them clean I'm assuming I removed any finish.

I read a thread on VMF on this topic and a "guest" (Charles?) stated:

"You can re-plate them but you have to remove all the coiled springs and rubber pieces".

My question is what will happen if I DON"T remove the coiled springs? Will the plating process compromise the springs or are they to be removed because they weren't originally plated to begin with, in which case I don't care because the only visible part is the outer latch cover, everything else in hidden inside the door shell.

Thanks,
Greg 
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:30 AM »
The 65-66 door latches came in a few varieties of plating.  Some had the base plate galvanized with zinc-dichromate latch cover and either zinc or zinc dichromate on the various other bits and pieces.  I've also seen a clear zinc base with a zinc cover and zinc dichromate long rivets.  Really, the only way to replicate it absolutely right would be to remove the rivets and plate the pieces individually.  This would be a big hassle to do and rivets would have to be reproduced (some have the 'L' and 'R' stamped in them.)  The good news is that most judges will accept 65-66 latches done in all zinc dichromate.  Maybe dulled down a little so they aren't so bright.  (lightly rub with some chrome polish)

As far as the springs, you absolutely MUST remove them.  The electroplating process will weaken the springs (hydrogen embrittlement) and they WILL fail/break eventually, most likely with your door in the closed position.  Won't be fun getting it open!

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply Charles,

I there a trick to removing the springs without damaging them.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
Not really any tricks, just spread the locks with the tip of a screwdriver and pry up on the spring.