Author Topic: 1967 Shelby tail lamp housings.. Did they really just cut the 1/4-20 studs off?  (Read 1460 times)

1967 eight barrel

I am working with the rear of the vehicle and I was looking at the studs that are on the tail lamp housings. It appears as if they used 1/4-20 all thread, cut them to a fixed length, tightened up the serrated nuts and cut them off with something like Dykes or a screw cutter of some kind.  I don't know why I didn't notice this before.
Common practice? These are down right dangerous!
                                                                                        -Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Yes pretty typical.

Not sure why the surprise. Look at the neat job done on some taillight panels or if you look at a 66 the quarter vent (cut out for the quarter windows) hack jobs
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
I am working with the rear of the vehicle and I was looking at the studs that are on the tail lamp housings. It appears as if they used 1/4-20 all thread, cut them to a fixed length, tightened up the serrated nuts and cut them off with something like Dykes or a screw cutter of some kind.  I don't know why I didn't notice this before.
Common practice? These are down right dangerous!
                                                                                        -Keith
Common practice. Bolt cutter was used.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Jeff, based on the cut out tail lamp panel, perhaps I shouldn't be. However, I can see how easy it would be to drag your arm across them and cut it wide open. In this litigious day and age I am sure there would have been a recall. Anyway, I am going to make new studs and fit them. I am struggling to get the nuts started on the studs as bad as some of them are.

-Keith