Author Topic: Shelby Automatic Wood shifter handle  (Read 7572 times)

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Shelby Automatic Wood shifter handle
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »
What year did the wood w/snake insert wood shifter handle first get used in the Shelby? I know it can be installed on most any auto shifter and in photos, see them on the 1968 to1970 Shelby's.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline ruppstang

Re: Shelby Automatic Wood shifter handle
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »
I have one on my unrestored 68 GT350.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
Hadn't thought yet but I have one around too if anyone has interest
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »
What year did the wood w/snake insert wood shifter handle first get used in the Shelby? I know it can be installed on most any auto shifter and in photos, see them on the 1968 to1970 Shelby's.

Aproximatly after April of 1968 (1968 Shelby production)  to the end of 69 Shelby production (including 70's) . Prior to that the typical Mustang handle was used .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »
Aproximatly after April of 1968 (1968 Shelby production)  to the end of 69 Shelby production (including 70's) . Prior to that the typical Mustang handle was used .

That is interesting Bob my #602 December car has one that has been there so long that the chrome is worn off the cobra. I guess a PO could have added it.
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
That is interesting Bob my #602 December car has one that has been there so long that the chrome is worn off the cobra. I guess a PO could have added it.
Marty
Marty,they would be out of the ordinary on a Dec 67 car IMO. They were not even around then. They were a very common upgrade however. I have seen them in use on 66 and 67 Shelby automatic too. Many times owners would think that the typical Mustang handle was wrong and replace them or just that they matched the wood grain on the dash and console better (in the case of a earlier 68). Also the black plastic regular Mustang handle was very prone to cracking (67/68) and new replacements were obsoleted long ago. The wooden handle which was available from one source or another was the logical replacement. The wooden handle was available through Ford long after production ceased and then once obsolete from Ford picked up by the aftermarket for continued sale up until recently. I know Branda has been selling them since the 70's . They started being used by Shelby Automotive when the KR was introduced .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
FYI you can tell the typical later repro handle by the way the wood is routed out to accept the snake emblem . Close and tight was original and early repros .  Wide and crooked was the typical later repro as in the picture posted.