Author Topic: "Backs" of things, Fenders, Front Valance and stone guard - Oct 64 Dearborn  (Read 2407 times)

Offline jtfx6552

29K (October 64) Dearborn, near as I can tell the back side of these items were completely covered in body color (in this case Wimbledon White). Is this what us usually found?

The Fenders havde the typical undercoating over the white, but in the non undercoated locations and under the undercoating is almost a uniform white.

When I sand through, I can see the white is over a light grey primer.

Not sure if it is unusual. but I have yet to find anything that is "red oxide". Nearest thing I've found is the backs of the headlight doors and inside the 1/4 extensions are a pinkish salmon color.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:14:07 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: "Backs" of things, Fenders, Front Valance and stone guard
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
29K (October 64) Dearborn, near as I can tell the back side of these items were completely covered in body color (in this case Wimbledon White). Is this what us usually found?

First of all - got to start somewhere :)  is this reported to be an original paint car?

It is possible that for some reason your car was painted by a painted who on that day choose to put in some extra time and apply more paint than we might see on other examples. At the same time we would not expect to find a really nice coat in all the corners or if put on that heavy no runs on the inner surfaces. 

Since white is a light color and covers pretty well (unlike some metallics) the paint may just look "fuller" or more coverage for this reason.

Would expect that you will find some red oxide at some point unless it was removed during repairs or a repaint
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:55:46 PM »
Car has been in the family since new, it was repainted once, at the time they barely got any paint on the front of the valance or top of the stone guard, lol. I guess they could have added some to the back, but doesn't seem very likely.

Here ares some pictures, note when I sanded through I never hit any red oxide.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:36:40 PM by jtfx6552 »
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
Car has been in the family since new, it was repainted once, at the time they barely got any paint on the front of the valance or top of the stone guard, lol. I guess they could have added some to the back, but does;t seem very likely.

Here ares some pictures, note when I sanded through I never hit any red oxide.

Thanks for the pictures

Hard to believe that Ford shipped these bare steel since they would start to rust which would require more work and effort before being painted.

Just for the heck of it - is the front bumper original and dated correctly for the car?  Thinking that it might have been tapped in the front before the repaint

Bottom line for restoring in your case - is that if the red oxide will not be visible on the finished product not to worry.

Here is another example of the back side of the same panel (65 Dearborn) with, as mentioned, not much exterior color in the corners and pockets

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:31:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
Thanks for the picture Jeff. I know the history of the car, date code on the stone guard is right. I stripped the whole thing and it was definitely never stripped and repainted. Too many knooks and crannies for a body shop to worry about. I ended up sand blasting it and could watch the layers peel back everywhere.

Its hard to see in my pictures, the stone guard was primered, it was just a grey primer, very close to the natural color of the steel.

Looking at your picture, unless I'm missing something, isn't that one green over a grey primer?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:21:30 PM by jtfx6552 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »
Looking at your picture, unless I'm missing something, isn't that one green over a grey primer?

Yes - typically applied over the red primer as a primer surfacer to fill small imperfections and pin holes on the areas where the exterior paint was to be applied . Does a poor job of sealing out rust and the like so that is why the red oxide was used also
Jeff Speegle