Author Topic: Valve Cover Bolts - 289  (Read 4525 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Valve Cover Bolts - 289
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:24:02 PM »
Just want to confirm that the valve cover bolts on regular 289's with the gold valve covers are supposed to have lock washers on them?  I ordered a set from NPD and from AMK (373071) and both came with standard washers on them...Going to call AMK tomorrow to discuss but wanted to double check...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Valve Cover Bolts - 289
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:11:29 AM »
Same time period - plant - engine

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:14:22 AM »
Chris,
I am not sure but it would make sense to have solid washers instead of lock washers as
with the latter having an opening would let oil be able to creep up the treads and on to the cover. My Shelby 65 has longer bolts because of the Buddy Bar Cobra valve covers and
the original bolts have solid washers.
Just a thought,
Texas Swede

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:25:11 AM »
The bolt should have a loose attached split lockwasher. Jeff's picture shows a "B" with three distinct circles and the washer's split. In my collection, I have the same head marked "B" with a single circle, "B & H" (the most quantity), "B/H", three large circles and three small circles. AMK has a picture of the "B" with a single circle in their catalog (B-12304, B-10901) but the washer appears to have serrations which would not be correct.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:38:36 AM »

I am not sure but it would make sense to have solid washers instead of lock washers as
with the latter having an opening would let oil be able to creep up the treads and on to the cover. ........

Of course oil pan bolts (very similar or the same) use the same lock washer style as the valve covers - guess the engineers at Ford of the time had another concern other than creeping of oil :)

The Cobra valve cover bolts weren't a Ford piece of hardware - different application like the Cobra oil pan bolts also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:05 AM »
Chris,
with the latter having an opening would let oil be able to creep up the treads and on to the cover. My Shelby 65 has longer bolts because of the Buddy Bar Cobra valve covers and
the original bolts have solid washers.
Just a thought,
Texas Swede
I believe your Cobra valve covers were supposed to come with a flat washer then a lock washer before the bolt. Besides the thicker valve cover the longer bolt was to compensate for the flat washer and lock washer . The flat washer was needed so that the lock washer would not dig into the aluminum.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:30:35 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »
Bad news folks.  Just got off the phone with AMK.  The girl told me that the provider of those particular bolts with the split washers is no longer producing them with the split washer.  AMK told me they were out of stock for almost a year of those bolts and when they did get them in the supplier went with this style.  AMK is still looking for someone who can reproduce them correctly but this is what they have.  The only way to get them is if another supplier like NPD has a set that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time.  I did throw in my 2 cents to pass along that Mustangs came with these types of split washers and that MCA judges would probably be looking for them.
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
Another option is to restore originals.  Even doing fake silver paint to make them look plated would be better than the wrong style. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
Thanks guys, I stand corrected.
Texas Swede

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 12:34:30 AM »
There's a few sets on ebay if you need them, new AMK.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
So I spoke to AMK about my recent order and the girl remembered me and said the guy was looking again at trying to do the split washer on those valve cover bolts. Here is to hoping
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline DKutz

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
Funny I got called out today because I have the split washers on my valve covers.  They stated "there is no way those are right, because they would distort the valve covers before the lock washers were flat". I told them I was pretty sure they were correct, and came from a AMK kit.
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »
Are the valve cover bolts/lock washers the same small bolts/lock washers used on the oil pan (excluding 4 larger)?
Yes, 373071-S8. There are a large variety of head markings to contend with.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
Funny I got called out today because I have the split washers on my valve covers.  They stated "there is no way those are right, because they would distort the valve covers before the lock washers were flat". I told them I was pretty sure they were correct, and came from a AMK kit.
Who are the "they"? Are they certified "Little Red Wagon" judges? Early (at least thru 67) small blocks used a split lock washer screw (1/4-20X5/8).
For the record, AMK used Ford Car Parts data for developing their hardware line because that was all that was available. They expanded their line to encompass assembly line hardware when that information became available. Some of that information came from feedback they received from Mustang owners.
Jim

Offline DKutz

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »
Who are the "they"? Are they certified "Little Red Wagon" judges? Early (at least thru 67) small blocks used a split lock washer screw (1/4-20X5/8).
For the record, AMK used Ford Car Parts data for developing their hardware line because that was all that was available. They expanded their line to encompass assembly line hardware when that information became available. Some of that information came from feedback they received from Mustang owners.
Jim

Nope just some guys that knew better than me.
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT