Author Topic: Front Spring Saddles - Original? Rebuilding? & Related  (Read 9286 times)

Offline 67gta289

Front Spring Saddles - Original? Rebuilding? & Related
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:20:09 PM »
In looking at spring saddles, I have found three variations for 67-68.

The first picture shows the three side by side.
The second picture shows one with a squared off FoMoCo stamp, and the other in the oval.
The third picture is the third variant with an "M S" stamp.

My Dec 66 SJ has the squared off FoMoCo stamps.

Any observations out there?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: original spring saddles?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:08:22 AM »
You should also be comparing the tab that the end of the coil comes to rest at and also the bolts and thread type.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »
Adding a little more information to Bob's point is that the tabs for the coil stop could be square or rounded and the mounting bolts were course and fine threaded.

I believe the different markings are the result of the third party supplier. I have seen the rectangular FoMoCo logo on 67-68 original mounts from San Jose and Metuchen cars.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »
From what I have seen the square FoMoCo stamped spring saddles would genrally be pre 1970.  The ones with the round oval stamp are later and service replacements as well.  Hard to give an exact date when this change happened.   
And I have seen early ones 65/66 with no Ford stamping at all.

The M-S is a vendor stamping.  I have a few different vendor stampings I have seen on these spring saddles.
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »
I picked up some round FoMoCo saddles that also have a manufacturers stamp from what was reported to be an original 50K mile San Jose 68 coupe.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »
The spring seat went from c4dz  c7oz  then d2 #s  & the later service replacements had ford in circle & the rubber pads glued to top of spring seats on the d2 version.  Marcus why you think the round fomoco is the later version & service replacement type.  The service replacement type depends on what year you ordered them as in later 70s the spring seat had the long ears & was a different design.  The spring seats I take off (Dearborn anyway) 69 cars have the round fomoco.  The different vendor types could be plant related also.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
The spring seat went from c4dz  c7oz  then d2 #s  & the later service replacements had ford in circle & the rubber pads glued to top of spring seats on the d2 version.  Marcus why you think the round fomoco is the later version & service replacement type.  The service replacement type depends on what year you ordered them as in later 70s the spring seat had the long ears & was a different design.  The spring seats I take off (Dearborn anyway) 69 cars have the round fomoco.  The different vendor types could be plant related also.
Ed , I noticed that the fan shroud trademark went from FOMOCO in the rectangle and later in 67 production changed through at least 70 to the FOMOCO in script in the oval. I havn't paid attention if other parts trademarks changed in that way during those times or not. It may have been a company wide change at that time if other parts markings changed also during that time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 01:15:38 AM »
Well, I have a good 50 sets or so of spring perches now in my junkyard but mostly I am looking at the ones that are still bolted to the original riveted control arms.  In general we know that the later service ones are round logo especially the ones with the rubber pads (which there is two different versions of the rubber pads).

But seems the round oval is on most of the 3 rivet 70 style control arms.  I would look at those as valid references.

Before 1970 I would mostly see the square logo version.  I cant say for sure exact date of the changeover but best I can see is in this time frame. 

Marcus Anghel

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »
I just cleaned 10 used original (68 only) front disc brake rotor shields & 4 are fomoco rectangular & 6 are fomoco oval & 1 type has a triangle vendor id stamp & the other type don't & both types are a little different being 2 different vendor stampings & the 69-70 vented rotor shields are the same way marked 2 different vendors stamped & id. The 71 rotor shields I see ford oval & like most 71 & up parts the fomoco changes to ford oval id. So like the rotor shield  &(other parts) the fomoco rectangular vs fomoco oval is more of 2 different vendor id stampings not an early late changeover.  I have only seen fomoco oval spring seats on 69 shelbys & b9s from Dearborn

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 01:42:03 AM »
Like I said, its going to be hard to give an exact time frame of when you should have a square or round logo on the spring perches.  And maybe its a difference in vendors too.  Thats possible.  Did all the different parts like fan shrouds and disc brake rotor shields change at the exact same time....hard to say. 

All we know for sure is when talking about these spring perches for early cars (64/65/66/67) its not normal to have round logo and the later cars (71/72/73) not normal to have the square logos.  In between that time period its a bit grey and something we can further document on original cars to look for patterns.
Marcus Anghel

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 02:09:40 AM »
I went in the attic and pulled the saddles of my Shelby. 12/66 has square logo with FOMOCO.  I believe them to be originals. I saved them for a future rebuild.

-Keith

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 04:03:07 AM »
My Dec 66 SJ also has the square FoMoCo shown in post #1.  The other saddles in post #1 are unknown.

In post #4 I do know that they are from a 1968 SJ Mustang, but date unknown.  That has the oval FoMoCo.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 10:14:04 AM »
Digging up old thread to report another finding, this result taken from KNOWN originals from my 11/2/66 built San Jose example.

They BOTH are the "MS" stamped version. (like pictured in Reply #1) For what else it is worth, the bushing/shaft is spot welded in, not crimped AND has the yellow paint or dye obvious on one end of the rubber. This result is from the one spring perch or spring saddle, as the title of the thread calls it, that has never been restored to date. Unfortunately, for the other spring perch, I replaced that bushing back in '97 so those details are gone now. I re-used the original perch then, only replacing the bushing & shaft.

I've uploaded several pictures. I have take more that I did not upload so if some detail needs viewing that isn't seen in these, just ask.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:12:28 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »
That is the same style used in 65/66 also . This was a early late transition . The later 67 was crimped and had course thread. That style continued through 69 (where I lost track).  The vast majority of the early style I have come across did not have the tack welds holding the bushing in place as seen in your picture.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 05:24:31 PM »
Have also seen/experienced where the alignment shops tack welded the inserts after replacing them so that adds another twist/possibility when inspecting these items
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)