Author Topic: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread  (Read 20890 times)

Online 69GT350H

Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread
« on: May 10, 2015, 02:16:50 AM »
I recently got my 69 GT350 back from a guy that was supposed to be good with Mustang sheet metal, only to be disappointed with the work. Now I have to do some fixing. Can someone post or email me pictures that shows where the body panels meet at the top corner, middle edge, and bottom corner of the trunk? I need to see the joints where the trunk lid would meet the trunk.  I have photos of what needs to be fixed here.

Thanks,

David
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:48:22 PM by J_Speegle »

Online 69GT350H

Re: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 02:48:34 AM »
I've got some photos on page 1 but I can not zoom in and get a clear look, plus the car had been rear ended twice before I got it and thus some of this may not be correct.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:48:31 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Rear Body Panel Alignment photo request
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »
Something like this ?
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 11:45:42 PM »
If the shop did that at the visible joints can only guess where the ones inside the trunk, quarter panels or door opening look like

Sorry to see this happen

Here are a few to help plus a couple of "bonus" examples  - hope they help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
Something like this ?
Thats the lower/rear most corner, I'll need that one shortly. I'm working on the filler panel, where it and the fender meet to form the upper corner of the trunk by the trunk hinge. If you have access I will be interested in another view from that general area. I'll post a photo later for you to see.

Thank you for the photo

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
If the shop did that at the visible joints can only guess where the ones inside the trunk, quarter panels or door opening look like

Sorry to see this happen

Here are a few to help plus a couple of "bonus" examples  - hope they help

Thanks Jeff, these are going to be a lot of help.

Many areas around the wheel opening he burned though the sheet metal, some areas like the the quarter to door striker pillar he did very little welding and in one case did not even weld some spots. The mismatching of the lip around the trunk he is blaming on cheap repro panels. I got them from NPD, and of course they are not going to be perfect. But a decent body man would have worked on them to make them match up. Sadly, it was one of the salesmen at NPD that recommended this bodyman, not that he knew him personally. When I first met him he and his partner had a nice shop, several nice cars in it. Then he and his partner split and he ended up working out of a single bay warehouse in an auto repair district. Thats where it all went down hill.

Jeff, feel free to move this to another board if this is a better fit there.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:32:02 PM by David R »

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »
If it makes you feel any better I have a similar problem. Seems some body shop butcher went crazy with a torch and brazing rods and warped the hell out of the left rear trunk floor to frame rail support. Warped the inner wheel well and butchered the internal bumper supports. What an unbelievable amount of work to fix this butchers repairs!!!!

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »
Just to be clear; this is not a GT 350 but is a 9T02R Mach 1.  Brian
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:35:02 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
San Diego, Ca.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »
Very nice, I can see the overlap of the panels clearly. Looks like mine might have been laid in the wrong order/direction. Thank you Brian

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 11:01:27 PM »
Here is another question, there is a lip on the rear panel that I do not remember being there. HERE is a photo that shows it. Its on the upper edge and sticks forward into the trunk.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:26:27 PM by David R »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 03:10:12 AM »
Here is another question, there is a lip on the rear panel that I do not remember being there. HERE is a photo that shows it. Its on the upper edge and sticks forward into the trunk.

Looks like a poorly formed reproduction panel

Going to make attaching the trunk latch support panel difficult :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 07:19:03 AM »
First of all I am sorry you are going through this. It happens all too often. What I see is a combination of poor fitting panels and bad bodywork/ welding. In a perfect world we would all like to use NOS or donor car panels but sometimes thats just not realistic. Even with that a decent bodyman will know how to make a bad panel fit properly. My concern is also even though panel fit is bad welds look very amatuerish
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Toploader

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 04:21:51 PM »
welds look very amatuerish

...That is to put it very kindly!
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 07:33:02 PM »
Looks like a poorly formed reproduction panel

Going to make attaching the trunk latch support panel difficult :(

Trunk latch support is already in place as seen HERE. Unfortunately it was not alligned right and he had to bend it to the side a little bit for the trunk lid to close. I'm going to have to cut it off and put a new one on.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:21:50 PM by David R »

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »
First of all I am sorry you are going through this. It happens all too often. What I see is a combination of poor fitting panels and bad bodywork/ welding. In a perfect world we would all like to use NOS or donor car panels but sometimes thats just not realistic. Even with that a decent bodyman will know how to make a bad panel fit properly. My concern is also even though panel fit is bad welds look very amatuerish

No worries. I had originally wanted to do the work myself with the guidance of an experienced body man. But, there were none to be found locally that would do it that way so I went with the normal way and paid to have it done. I'm not a pro, but I have the tools and a bit of experience from my previous Mustangs, I'm sure I can make it all right again.