Author Topic: Searching for Original Chassis Color - June 69 Dearborn  (Read 3646 times)

Offline ddonzella

Searching for Original Chassis Color - June 69 Dearborn
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
Jeff,

I think I have this question in the right area for all  69 Mustangs. I read a previous post you commented on in which I believe you stated that the body sealer applied around the inner seat belt bolt plate was applied after the chassis paint was applied. If this is correct could a person discover the original chassis color by removing a piece of the original sealer?

Again for reference, I have a June 12th 69 Shelby GT 350 production number 3000 which had the chassis redone at some point of the cars life and even in the tunnel area around the shifter I have semi gloss black on top of deep red oxide primer then bare steal..

Thanks for your help. Wanta do it right!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:51:23 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Searching for Original Chassis Color
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 01:01:31 AM »
Jeff,

I think I have this question in the right area for all  69 Mustangs. I read a previous post you commented on in which I believe you stated that the body sealer applied around the inner seat belt bolt plate was applied after the chassis paint was applied. If this is correct could a person discover the original chassis color by removing a piece of the original sealer?

Again for reference, I have a June 12th 69 Shelby GT 350 production number 3000 which had the chassis redone at some point of the cars life and even in the tunnel area around the shifter I have semi gloss black on top of deep red oxide primer then bare steal..

Thanks for your help. Wanta do it right!
June 69 car would most likely have some variety of batch paint.  Red oxide would be out of the ordinary in that time frame. We have so many examples indicating so. Hard for someone to tell if batch paint is wrong shade because it changed so often and so many different shades. Most common was a medium gray with some metallic mixed in ,but many others.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »

Yes for that specific area of the car. but you can't always apply that one spot across the whole floor area for example. The color under the sealer could also be the second or third level of paint for that specific spot also so you would need to strip through a section of that to bare steel.

Around the shifter opening can be the red oxide from above (have this on my April built Dearborn) coming through the shifter opening onto the undercarriage panels of the car directly near that opening in the floor. Top guy got carried away on this car - not often as heavy. If this observation is connected with above "under sealer" comment above not sure where you finding sealer in that area
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
I will follow up.

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »
So with the possibility of not finding any original paint being discovered after my further research I would not be out of line with painting the chassis a medium gray family with a little metallic thrown in for a June 12 69 car..

One issue I need clarification on. With batch paint am I understanding that there would be no red oxide as a base under the batch color for the under floor of the car nor under the strut rod channels or exterior shock towers or is fire wall forward still red oxide base?? Sorry guys. I am reading a lot of posts and the more I read the more I see twists and exceptions...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »
So with the possibility of not finding any original paint being discovered after my further research I would not be out of line with painting the chassis a medium gray family with a little metallic thrown in for a June 12 69 car..

I would instead apply a dark gray with a slight blue or greenish tint which is more common. In 69 not allot of wild or bright colors as in 70 when the batch colors can take on a much wider range of colors from what I've seen. Firewall rearward - over bare metal

One issue I need clarification on. With batch paint am I understanding that there would be no red oxide as a base under the batch color for the under floor of the car nor under the strut rod channels or exterior shock towers or is fire wall forward still red oxide base?? Sorry guys. I am reading a lot of posts and the more I read the more I see twists and exceptions...

For a June built Dearborn car I normally see red oxide over bare metal covering the inner fender wells, frame (all three sides), into all the pockets (strut rod, lower a arm, bottom of sway bar mount...) and the inner surfaces of the shock towers. All this before any of the other colors get added to the surface

Don't worry or get distracted with the exceptions or oddities IMHO since you have no documentation of yours being different your better off served as going with the "norm" at this point.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:43:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ddonzella

Re: Searching for Original Chassis Color - June 69 Dearborn
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:25:49 AM »
Excellent! !!

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 12:14:05 PM »
In trying to create the proper gray shade you mentioned in and old post:

"No real formula and we don't want all these cars to look like a cookie cutter image of the others (IMHO too much of that has gone on in the past)

Start with a good epoxy primer and add in 50% of some gray exterior color (I started with 2001 VW  color - Cinza Urano code L17F- on a recent project, add some left over black and some blue or green
"

What is the base color of the first epoxy primer you mention before adding Cinza Urano in this example?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »
What I have found on more recent project - to reproduce the dark grey found on allot of 69 Dearborn cars is to use just the 2001 VW  color - Cinza Urano code L17F- with a little green or blue added. IMHO its a pretty good match and reduces the concerns some painters have with mixing allot of exterior color with an epoxy primer.

Think you'll be happy with the look for the firewall rearward section of the car.

In addition you can divide part the gallon of the paint into a couple of quart or smaller cans and tint those with so white, gray or other tints to produce a couple of final colors that can be used one you start shooting your "slop" paint parts as used on 69 Dearborn Mustangs, Cougars & Shelbys

Just what I would do in the same situation today
Jeff Speegle

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »
Thank you so much.  For blue would you recommend one of the 1969 Metallic blue mustang colors? It would seem logical.

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 10:09:12 PM »
Jeff,

With the Cinzo Urano, is that a gloss finish or should it be semi gloss? Also, If I am mixing in a little blue, should it be one of the metallic blue options available in 1969?

Thank You

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
With the Cinzo Urano, is that a gloss finish or should it be semi gloss?

Gloss from the examples I've seen the overspray from the exterior color and pinch weld black out will work to "flatten" the look in those areas (rear end tunnel, floors ....)

Also, If I am mixing in a little blue, should it be one of the metallic blue options available in 1969?

Not unusual, in the right light, to see metallic in the floor coloring. All depends on what they were spraying when the paints were left over. Not many non-metallic choices in 69 in the Ford exterior paint line-up ;)
Jeff Speegle