Author Topic: Is there a bible for undercar coatings/colors?  (Read 3027 times)

Offline dlsimon212

Is there a bible for undercar coatings/colors?
« on: May 13, 2010, 12:56:38 AM »
Mr Speegle suggested I post this question here in this section,,,

Is there a guide that tells what all of the parts under a 65 coupe are suppose to look like? I'd like to coat/paint/prep items under my car so that they retain the stock appearance for a looong time, but I'm not sure what everything is supposed to look like. Rearend, leaf springs, U-bolts & plates, floor, gas tank, shocks, ft springs, steering box, tie rods/sleeves/centerlink/spindles/pitman & idler arms, driveshaft, exhaust hangers, tranny & pan, hood hinges & springs, etc,,,,

Is there a bible for these parts, like Bob Mannel's "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8" book (which is absolutely awesome!)

Also, is there a certain color of Gold that I should use for the valve covers & air cleaner,,, can these possibly be powder coated? I see that Eastwood has a special ceramic coating called Olds Gold,,, but it looked a bit dark.

Thanks so Much,
Doug Simon

www.dougs65mustangrestoration.blogspot.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Is there a bible for undercar coatings/colors?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:33:22 AM »
Mr Speegle suggested I post this question here in this section,,,

Wow!! Mr

Jeff will work fine ;)

Is there a guide that tells what all of the parts under a 65 coupe are suppose to look like? I'd like to coat/paint/prep items under my car so that they retain the stock appearance for a looong time, but I'm not sure what everything is supposed to look like. Rearend, leaf springs, U-bolts & plates, floor, gas tank, shocks, ft springs, steering box, tie rods/sleeves/centerlink/spindles/pitman & idler arms, driveshaft, exhaust hangers, tranny & pan, hood hinges & springs, etc,,,,

Ok a quick response for what you listed and another reference you will find most of this in is the MCA Judging rule book

Rearend,  - Housing - SGB (semi-gloss black)

Leaf springs - Leafs are NHTS (natural heat treated steel) with natural clamps

U-bolts & plates - natural steel,

Floor - depends on the plant and when the car was assembled. Basically base epoxy red oxide colored primersealer or batch color with overspray from engine compartment black and or body color followed by pinch weld black out overspray. Add to this various seam sealers and sound deadener before or after depending on specific car, plant and application

Gas tank - natural with a tems (S?) coating

Shocks - SGB

Ft springs - depends on the plant - either SGB or P&O (phospahte & oil)

Steering box - natural cast steel body with bright machined and planned surfaces, zinc plated end plug, natural plate steel cover, natural sheet steel upper nut, NHTS shafts 

Tie rods/sleeves/centerlink/spindles/pitman & idler arms, - NHTS wih the tie rod ends with natural steel (lighter and brighter steel rear covers

Driveshaft - Natural welded steel tubing with heat stripe the lenght and ends where it was welded to the natural cast steel yoke ends

Exhaust hangers - Natural

Tranny & pan - Natural (cast steel or aluminum depending on type) with (for auto) bare natural filter pan

Hood hinges & springs - P&O

That should give you a start - you'll find the rest in the Judging rules and from there we can discuss the details ;)

I'll level the color issue to others
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Is there a bible for undercar coatings/colors?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:07:03 AM »
Have found a couple shades of gold paint used throughout '65 production.  The earliest version, up until maybe late Fall of '64 had more of a deep gold appearance.  Later it was more of a "soft" gold.  I provided a color sample of a match I did to the later color to Scott at NPD.  Not sure if that is what they sell in the rattle cans now.  Here's a sample of the later '65 gold:  http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/6_20/6_20_05%20018.jpg

I don't recommend powder-coating if you're trying to achieve the correct appearance.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin