Author Topic: 67 S Code Restoration  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Groundpounder17

67 S Code Restoration
« on: August 02, 2015, 01:17:03 AM »
I have a 67 S Code that I purchased a little over a year ago. It's a California car that had not ran since 1980. The car has only 2 areas that will need body repair.  It is supposed to be all original which I believe to be the case. After it was delivered last year I hauled to 3 hrs south to my grandfathers shop. We had it running the first day. The following day we pulled the engine to rebuild it. After a year of delays from various interruptions I'm finally about to put her on a rotisserie to restore to her original beauty.

I never plan to show this car but I do want to restore her properly. I had the marti report from the original owner but have since misplaced it and have another ordered.

Here is a list of what I recall to be on the marti report.

67 Fastback S-Code 390-4v built in San Jose, CA ordered in LA district
Brittany Blue Paint with Blue Decor Bucket Seats with 3.00 conventional rear and C-6 select shift. Build date of September 9, 1966 but actually produced September 19, 1966 10 days behind schedule

Ordered with following features:
White Paint Stripe
Closed crankcase emission system
Exhaust emission control
C-6 select shift
Courtesy light group
7.35x14-4 ply tires
White sidewall raylon tires
Deluxe steering wheel
Sport deck rear seat
Power disc brakes
Power steering
AM radio
Exterior decor group
Interior decor group
Tinted glass
Shoulder harness

I typically just read here and occadionally post on VMF but I think y'all would be much more knowledgeable in helping me to restore the body to how it came from the factory.

I have several questions but for now I'll just start with posting some pics.
MCA 103301

67 2+2 S Code Sept 66 San Jose

Offline Groundpounder17

Re: 67 S Code Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:32:26 AM »
Here's a few more showing the floorboards under the carpet, trunk, body damage, etc
MCA 103301

Offline Groundpounder17

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:41:09 AM »
Now I suppose I should start with some of my many questions.

Once I get it striped down and on the rotisserie I plan to get it soda blasted. Can anyone walk me through the process of which primers, paints, and clear coats I should use?  What about the wheel wells, inner front fenders, engine bay, and undercarriage?  Since the under carpet rubber like material is in such wonderful shape should I avoid stripping it during soda blasting?  What is used to paint the axles and steering components?  And finally what about the white stripe?  I can see remnants of it but how does one go about finding the actual dimensions and exact location of this? Is there somewhere to find a template to assist in painting the stripe?  I really would rather it be painted on and not a pin stripe decal.

Thanks
MCA 103301

Offline Groundpounder17

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 01:59:22 AM »
I just realized that I most likely posted this in the wrong section. If this should be moved to the Body, Paint, and Sealers forum please do so. My apologies
MCA 103301

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »
An excellent candidate for restoration - you are fortunate.  Thanks for including all of the pertinent information.

You did ask a lot of questions in this thread, too many in fact for one post.  I would suggest two things for starters:

1. Focus on one topic/question and search through the site to see if you can get the question answered.  If the question is not fully answered, go to step 2.

For example, searching for "67 axle" resulted in 65 "hits", including:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=524.msg3199#msg3199
          http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8969.msg52328#msg52328
          http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6400.msg36187#msg36187
          http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3512.msg18912#msg18912

2. Ask the specific question in the category that you think would fit best.  More than likely you will be posting most of them in the 1967-1968 area.

Don't forget to read the FAQs here http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5.msg15#msg15

Good luck with the research.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
MCA 74660

Offline Groundpounder17

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:49:02 AM »
Thanks for tips, John. I did try searching the forum using key words such as "San Jose", "September", and year. My car is a 67 but built in 66 so should I be searching 66 or 67 when trying to find out such details? 
MCA 103301

Offline Asm109

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
Your car is a 67 model car. Search for 67.  Pay attention to comments about early or late production.  Your car is early.

Offline Groundpounder17

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:38:14 PM »
I went out this morning to try to get some pics of the white stripe, at least what remains of it. I could pretty well see it except for at the from where weather has removed all remnants of it the last 6-12".

What I learned is that white accent stripe appears 1/8" thick.  At the rear it starts 24/64" (3/8") up vertically and 40/64" (5/8") in horizontally. The line typically runs about 1" from edge once running horizontal but does vary by about +-1/8".

If I shouldn't be posting all of these photos please let me know and I will correct the behavior.
MCA 103301

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 03:13:04 PM »
Welcome to the site - hope we can help

A couple of suggestions/additions to add to what already has been offered

1- Take it in small bites. Focus on one subject/request, Then craft a thread on that one area. The post another on the next subject. If the threads become too long or complicated they are more difficult to follow and for others to help.

2- Looks like yours can be seen as an intro thread. Introducing you and your project to the membership. Remember that when you post or start a new thread to include when and where your car was built plus the needed info so that we'll not have to ask for the details.  Sorry but just too many members for us to remember all the details for everyone's car.

3- Some of the searches can be more generic (for your reading and study) while others should be focused on the same plant and time period. Like any search engine start with a narrow search then widen it until you get what your looking for. Then read the posts to see if they apply

That should get you going.

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Groundpounder17

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 04:35:48 PM »
Thanks Jeff!
I appreciate the advice and the move to the appropriate forum section.
MCA 103301

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »
Guess we can focus on the paint stripe in this thread (just picking one with the most pictures ;)

There is no template that I'm aware of and if there was it would only show what Ford wanted to be done not what was always done

Can't tell from the picture but I'm guessing that you have confirmed this is a hand painted stripe and your Marti report supports that this was a factory option for your car.

IMHO the most important detail to find and confirm (other than what you've shown to this point) is the beginning and ending of the stripes at panel joints

Also, since yours is a 67 San Jose car don't forget to check out threads related to the 67 Shelby's (especially "early" ) since many details will be shared with those cars.

In general 67's can be one of the most challenging cars to do since Ford had so many running changed during that production year since it was the first major redesign from the original Mustang. Took almost a year to get things right or improved
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Groundpounder17

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
Yes it is original white paint stripe per Marti report. It is very faint but I can see it where it starts at the rear of the car but the last 6-12" of the front fender I lose it completely so I have no idea where it goes from there. I'm guessing it ends about 3/8" from the from front most fender seam toward the headlight. I'm mostly wanting to get as much documented as I can before I start to tear down the car. I've read many conflicting internet details about this option.

Am I correct in that it starts about 3/8" up from the bottom (vertical measurement) and about 5/8" in (horizontal measurement (when measured horizontally)?  These measurements are taken at the very beginning of the stripe at the rear of the car. It seems to go up and then begins to measure close to an inch down from the top line/edge of the car. I have no ideas at the front of the car as weather has removed all remains trace of it by the headlight.

When restoring do most people just tape off exposing about 1/8" to paint the stripe?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:12:28 PM by Groundpounder17 »
MCA 103301

Offline Dudley

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »
were these stripes applied using the Beugler striping tool ?
current ride: 1968 Mustang coupe, 11,900 mile survivor/unrestored CA blk plate. May/June build PS,AC, AT, 289-2V. pix available at   .http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/105333

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »
When restoring do most people just tape off exposing about 1/8" to paint the stripe?

No, it would have been a rolled on paint stripe using body lines for the guide.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Groundpounder17

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 09:04:47 PM »
Caspian65, how would one go about painting the stripe now?  Is there some tool that allows one to trace to body line to paint the stripe?  I guess my last post wasn't clear.  What I was trying to ask is if after painting the car back Brittany blue if one would then mask it off with tape on each leaving a 1/8" line to paint the white.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Dudley, I'm not familiar with the Beugler striping tool. Is this how one would paint this stripe? 
MCA 103301