Author Topic: 67 S Code Restoration  (Read 2242 times)

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 67 S Code Restoration
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
There will be a difference in texture of a 'sprayed' paint stripe versus a 'rolled' paint stripe.  You'll have to find someone local that has the proper equipment to do it correctly.

For now, simply documenting the location and thickness should be the main priority.  The paint stripe will most likely be one of the very last things done on the restoration.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Groundpounder17

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 10:51:10 PM »
Thanks! 

This is all very helpful!  I have actually been speaking to shops in my area and thus far I wouldn't let any of these guys in my area paint my kids cozy coupe. This one big shop that specializes in antique car restorations (I would call it a hot rod shop) told me that they put a thin glaze of bondo over the entire car "to give it that slick finish". I cringed, thinking that he really meant he sucked at prepping and painting.
MCA 103301

67 2+2 S Code Sept 66 San Jose

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 11:08:38 PM »
Dudley, I'm not familiar with the Beugler striping tool. Is this how one would paint this stripe?

Goggle the name and you'll find a tool that looks like a cartridge/cylinder with a felt wheel at the end. First came around when pinstriping was the rage (sort of the "anyone car now pinstripe like an expert...." thing.  )

There are still guys that do pin striping (antique cars often had it on their wheels and body lines)  You just need to make sure it follows the factory patterns

On your other comment - yes there are many shops that skin and cut exterior bodies for the prefect flat sides. Works great on custom cars  and even what some call "restored" . Basically a Show car body and paint job.  Not the same as what we see in good concours jobs today.   Mention that you want to have factory orange peel and painted wheel wells then watch their face ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Groundpounder17

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 12:11:25 AM »
I told him "bondo?....over my entire car?  I don't want ANY bondo if at all possible."  He then said "well you'll never get it looking good again then."  I handed him his business card back and walked out the door.
MCA 103301

67 2+2 S Code Sept 66 San Jose

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 01:03:39 AM »
Try this guy if you're in Southern California, he's awesome at his trade!!!

Curlys Pinstriping

Address: 7904 Adams St, Paramount, CA 90723
Phone:(562) 208-8380
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966