Author Topic: Application for driveshaft C5AW-4868-A ??  (Read 5324 times)

Offline mhubert89

Application for driveshaft C5AW-4868-A ??
« on: August 27, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »
Hi ,

I have a 68 mustang 4 speed toplaoder 28 splines... I have a driveshaft that comes with my car that have this number onthe yoke C5AW-4868-A ? Is that a good number or what suppose to be my number ?
Thanks !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Application for driveshaft C5AW-4868-A ??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »
You have a driveline with a printed (guessing painted stencil?) part number on it?

Does you car originally have a 8" or 9" rearend?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »
You have a driveline with a printed (guessing painted stencil?) part number on it?

Does you car originally have a 8" or 9" rearend?

Original 8" rearend with a open 3:00 gear ration
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:31:05 PM »
Just reread your original post

So the number you posted is the engineering/casting number found on the yoke not the driveline

Are you trying to determine if the yoke is correct for your car or the driveline. No guarantee that the two were originally together. Not unusual for owners to mix and match the two for different applications and changes. Did this all the time in fact ran a Ford driveline in a 51 Chevy hardtop that had been converted to a V8, an automatic and a later rearend
Jeff Speegle

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »
Just reread your original post

So the number you posted is the engineering/casting number found on the yoke not the driveline

Are you trying to determine if the yoke is correct for your car or the driveline. No guarantee that the two were originally together. Not unusual for owners to mix and match the two for different applications and changes. Did this all the time in fact ran a Ford driveline in a 51 Chevy hardtop that had been converted to a V8, an automatic and a later rearend
[/quote

Yeah this is the number on the yoke ! Suppose to have one on the driveline ? Just try to rebuilt my car with original parts that i can find ! Just want to know or i i can know that this driveline go on my car and was not for another car ! Come with the car but was not on the car !!
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
Originally there was no number on the driveline only paint markings to help the assembly line workers put the correct one in the right car. For replacement purposes Ford assigned a part number associated with each driveline but cross referencing the number to the driveline is not easy as there are thousands made through the years.

Because of this your left with taking the details of the one you have and comparing them to what was originally installed

Some things to check

Is it a solid (one tube) from end to end or is it one tube inside of another?

Is it a straight tube or is it tapered at either end?

How long is it, what are the dimensions of the yokes at both ends (not always the same)?

Is there any markings left on the driveline?

Each of these can help lead you to a possible conclusion - was this a driveline that would have been in my car originally

We can see what the replacement part specifications were - they might be the same as original or may be a replacement so that one size fit more, to reduce inventory for Ford
Jeff Speegle

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
Originally there was no number on the driveline only paint markings to help the assembly line workers put the correct one in the right car. For replacement purposes Ford assigned a part number associated with each driveline but cross referencing the number to the driveline is not easy as there are thousands made through the years.

Because of this your left with taking the details of the one you have and comparing them to what was originally installed

Some things to check

Is it a solid (one tube) from end to end or is it one tube inside of another?

Is it a straight tube or is it tapered at either end?

How long is it, what are the dimensions of the yokes at both ends (not always the same)?

Is there any markings left on the driveline?

Each of these can help lead you to a possible conclusion - was this a driveline that would have been in my car originally

We can see what the replacement part specifications were - they might be the same as original or may be a replacement so that one size fit more, to reduce inventory for Ford

Its a solide one , not tapered ! No more mark still on it ! Someone paint it red ... Its about 50 inch 3/4 long !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »
Its a solide one , not tapered ! No more mark still on it ! Someone paint it red ... Its about 50 inch 3/4 long !

Solid and no tapered shows right - now

Service replacement page from April 68 shows that they were selling a driveline for 68 289 2V and 302 and some 6 cylinder (all manual trans) a driveline with the following specs

Length (from U joint cap to cap center) - 50 31/32"
Tube diameter - 3"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:11:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 11:25:30 PM »
Solid and no tapered shows right - now

Service replacement page from April 68 shows that they were selling a driveline for 68 289 2V and 302 and some 6 cylinder (all manual trans) a driveline with the following specs

Length (from U joint cap to cap center) - 50 31/32"
Tube diameter - 3"

Oki so this is look like the good lenght and the good one for a 4 speeds 289.
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »
Oki so this is look like the good lenght and the good one for a 4 speeds 289.

Might fit even if its not original to the application. Recalled I used a Ford driveline oncec for one I needed in a modified 51 Chevy I built ;)
Jeff Speegle