Author Topic: 65 Styled Steel Wheels Silver or Charcoal?  (Read 10756 times)

Offline trucktricksdon

• Direction Auto & Truck Accessories
65 Styled Steel Wheels Silver or Charcoal?
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:02:38 PM »
I have a November 64 A code coupe and I was wondering which styled steel wheels are correct for it. I noticed some of the earlier cars had silver painted inserts and most later cars had charcoal gray painted inserts. Does anyone know when they started painting the wheel inserts gray? What color would be correct for a November 64 car if it were ordered that way originally?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 Styled Steel Wheels Silver or Charcoal?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:52:01 PM »
Argent was the norm at that time in production.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline trucktricksdon

• Direction Auto & Truck Accessories
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:19:57 AM »
Thanks for the info, Charles. I am somewhat overwelmed with all of the questions I have. In trying to put this car back together, new questions keep popping up. It's a lot fun none the less!

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »
I've searched through and read many posts regarding the the correct Styled Steel wheels for my 65 Fastback with a build date of September 2, 1964.  It looks like the argent inset color would be correct rather than charcoal.  Can you folks help confirm this for me?  I never realized the argent color was so light.  I've seen a lot of pictures on the internet showing argent to be much darker (closer to charcoal).  Thoughts?  Here's a link to what I believe is the correct argent color:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-wheel-14x5-styled-steel-1964-1-2/p/W181-V/
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:05:59 AM »
Yes, would have been argent that early.  There are several shades, try locating some in the Motorcraft cans, seems it was the best match and best spraying.  Otherwise, the paint code can probably be found to mix up some paint for a gun.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »
Thank you for your help!  :)
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:29:49 PM »
Would this be the correct insert color for a mid-Oct 64 Fastback as well? 
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:44:36 AM »
Should be, all 65 Style Steel Wheels were that color, that's the type that has a chrome outer edge instead of a separate trim ring ala 66 style.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 01:15:47 AM »
The darker silver was introduced later in '65, about the time the GT package came out.  Although, with using up the old style and dealers having the old style in stock, it muddies the transition date.  Generally, I will accept argent wheels on anything between July '64 and about April '65.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
all 65 Style Steel Wheels were that color

From my understanding there were two colors of 65 Style Steel Wheel, the earlier Argent and later dark Charcoal (?) color.  Both had the chromed wheel lip as opposed to the chrome trim ring used in 66.

I put the (?) because I'm not sure the exact name of the later 65 dark insert color.  I've heard it called "Charcoal" or "Ralley Wheel Charcoal".  I also don't know for certain if it's the same color used on the '66 wheels, although they look similar.

Here are Scott Drakes examples, although I'd trust Charles's date ranges more...

65 before 2/1/65
http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/wheel_styled_steel_14_inch_x-100714-1.html

65 after 2/1/65
http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/wheel_styled_steel_14_inch_x-100736-1.html

http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/wheel_styled_steel_14_inch_x-100738-1.html

Thanks all for the help.  I wasn't sure where the (approximate) cutoff line was.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:01:16 AM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:54:50 PM »
according to my parts book printed in 65 and other MPC

c5zz-1007-A = before 1st Feb 65 SS wheels had Grey painted cavities (seems obvious they are referring to argent/sliver)
c5zz-1007-B = after  "              " SS wheels had Gray Gold painted cavities

i cant see where the charcoal comes in at all  ???, even though scott drake etc all seem to paint them that and everyone says thats the correct color . actually SD wheels 1007-A say their charcoal when obviously they should be Argent/silver/grey , SD argent wheels have a made up number 1007-ARG and his 1007-B say they are charcoal as well  ??? although they are not original correct size being 7" wide

afai can see at the moment the only charcoal was on the cavities of GT350's SS mag. not sure what the 1966 SSW (c6zz-1007-A) that use the trim rim cavity colour is meant to be, perhaps they are charcoal?

some of the grey gold wheels i have seen apear to look just grey or darker grey depending on how the light is on them and sometimes the gold shows more if the light hits them favourably . which makes them difficult at times to identify in photo's
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:58:09 PM by outback mustang »

Offline fast66

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 07:51:50 PM »
When were the SS wheels introduced? I seam to recall a post where a later date was mentioned ( than Sep 64) May have been a San Jose car, based on an info that the balancing equipment not being available until later fall 64... what factory is yours?

//Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »
........afai can see at the moment the only charcoal was on the cavities of GT350's SS mag. ....................

What year and wheel are you referring to?

As for the "gray gold" don't recall ever seeing an original car done that way. Does your MOC from 65 show that color or is it only in later versions possibly reflecting a running change in the service parts line?  Will check my 67 & 8 versions
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:36 PM »
Hi Jeff, what i should have said is the afic see at the moment the closest to charcoal is in the cavities of the gt350 (1966) Magnums. I was just browsing trying to find a wheel where they might of got the colour charcoal from.  of course the magnums are black pockets, but up very close they appear to verge on very dark 'charcoal' grey. page 76 of the Definitive Shelby Mustang Guide 1965-1970 by Greg Kolasa has a couple of close up pics and they kinda look dark charcoal (not unlike some pics of S Drakes 1965 SS wheels i see, they are a tad lighter perhaps (also up close in person many repo 1965 SS look very dark grey, not far from black imo). from a few feet away against the contrast of the spoke the 66 magnums look black obviously.

the Gray Gold reference is as it is written in my original parts book printed in 65 (they even made the spelling curiosity of spelling Grey both ways, as i wrote it), it is repeated the same way in later MOC and the last version, without the spelling difference though.

of course it doesnt say how much grey or how much gold is used in the mix but it certainly doesnt say charcoal or dark grey or just grey. i might guess from seeing how some old rims have been restored (they used a different colour underneath which affects the finished colour) that perhaps a coat of gold goes on then a coat of grey, or the other way around. however that is just a passing thought on my account, it may well be one coat of grey and gold mixed together. but surely if ford mention the change from Grey, to Gray Gold, then surely their must be some gold aspect to it

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
Hi Jeff, what i should have said is the afic see at the moment the closest to charcoal is in the cavities of the gt350 (1966) Magnums. I was just browsing trying to find a wheel where they might of got the colour charcoal from.  of course the magnums are black pockets, but up very close they appear to verge on very dark 'charcoal' grey. ...........

IMHO originals are black in person- have seen plenty ;).

Do we know who provided the styled steel wheels? That might be a starting point.  Don't have any anymore or I could post a picture of the stamping that would well us.  Don't think we'll find that its the same people as the Magnums
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)