Author Topic: 69 Cougar CJ Eliminator - REAR SPRING PAINT STRIPES  (Read 3572 times)

Offline 69eliminator

69 Cougar CJ Eliminator - REAR SPRING PAINT STRIPES
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:27:58 AM »
Trying to determine correct paint stripes on the rear springs for my 69 Eliminator.

Springs show yellow yellow and a third stripe i cant make out the color on. light blue? Thanks for any information or suggestions
Brian
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:20:22 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Cougar CJ Eliminator - REAR SPRING PAINT STRIPES
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:18 PM »
Think this is a time to use the oven cleaner method. Now warning you only get one shot at this (well maybe two ;) so you have to be quick and pay attention.

I think in this case I might apply the stuff with a brush (gloves and glasses or a face shield ) apply the lye based cleaner into a jar and apply it to the right  half of the stripe color on the better of the two springs. This way you can attempt a second try on the left half if you want or need to. As the lye  eats into the paint it will foam (must apply plenty with the brush so it states wet through the whole process) and expand exposing (what ever is left) color of the paint - though it of course will be a weaker and slightly lighter than the original application.

Seen pictures of guys applying directly with the spray but in your situation I would try a brush at least the first time. Let us know how it works ;)

PS-   Did check what few build sheets I have from 69 CJ Cougars and nothing with Yellow on any of them for rear springs
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:20:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

Re: 69 REAR SPRING PAINT STRIPES
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »
69 cougar rear leaf springs are longer with front eyelet curve & rear eyelet hole smaller using c6oz bushings than mustang.

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »
Thanks for everyones help.
Springs confirmed to be blue blue tan.
rear springs are yellow yellow lavender.

still not positive about driveshaft as mine is soaking in EvapoRust but other build sheet colors as referenced by user with same car less the ac are DB, TN LG.
Mine seems to have either red or pink in it as well as blue and green. Both the green and blue seem to be like grabber colors. I'll post photos when out of the PVC tube it is soaking in

thanks all for the help. This site is amazing!!!!

Brian

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:21:05 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »
still not positive about driveshaft as mine is soaking in EvapoRust but other build sheet colors as referenced by user with same car less the ac are DB, TN LG.
Mine seems to have either red or pink in it as well as blue and green. Both the green and blue seem to be like grabber colors.

Is the other car from same plant and time of year? Not unusual for paint marks to change two or three times during a year ;)

The base stripes to identify the drivelines during the 60's and early 70's in general were three stripes with other marks and colors applied for other reasons.

Looking at the Cougar R code automatic buildsheet I've got a copy of lists  the drive line as

LBDBDG - Light Blue, Dark Blue, Dark Green

I do see red and pinks on other non CJ Cougar drivelines. - of course we hope that your driveline is original to the car and not one that replaced the original ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 11:07:12 AM »
Hi Jeff
Not sure of the plant or date code from the other build sheet. I will follow up. PO believes the driveshaft is original to the car. Is the buildsheet that you reference a late 69 Dearborn car?
thanks
brian
Dearborn 6/69

Offline specialed

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »
cougar driveshafts 3'' longer than mustang & 4-speedvs. auto. & is your shaft tapered on end.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »
Hi Jeff............ Is the buildsheet that you reference a late 69 Dearborn car?

As usual difficult to read but it appears to be a a July Dearborn example
Jeff Speegle