Author Topic: Headlight Change TSB Article  (Read 7586 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Headlight Change TSB
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »
You "hit the nail on the head(lamp)" ! And I too, am one of those "bulbous" individuals who likes to "amp" things up a bit, without getting too "wired" in the process. Personally, I like the looks of the old original (like me), cast in glass FoMoCo script headlamps.

I'll quit now, while I'm ahead(lamp).
"Currently", you pass on the "high" side.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 08:46:54 PM »
Ohm-my-God...you guys are bad.

Back to my meditation:
Oooohhhhmmmmm....
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline kb65

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 11:15:19 PM »
wish i had this info back in 87
I totally destroyed a 65 fastback in 87 when the headlights went out at 3am.  halogen headlights ,on high beam, country road, telephone pole. you do the math.

ken
ken

Offline kb65

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 06:59:51 PM »
did ford ever have a fix for this?
think of the thousands of old cars still on the road that are only driven to cruise nights or to go get ice cream.

is the only fix a relay.

ken
ken

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 07:08:01 PM »
did ford ever have a fix for this?
think of the thousands of old cars still on the road that are only driven to cruise nights or to go get ice cream.

Don't believe so. Never, to my knowledge, did it become a big issue nor resulted in any Federal complaints or enough customer complaints to require a campaign. Just one of those things about driving and operating old cars.  Its part of what makes them unique

Never experienced any problems since owning these cars since 73
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 11:41:28 PM »
A government report done in the early 70s for forensic work to help identify headlights -- I do wish the pictures had come out correctly, but the data is very interesting:
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/46176NCJRS.pdf
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Online RoyceP

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »
Must be a typo in the TSB, the 7" lamps and the 5 3/4" lamps do not have the same engineering number stamped on them.

I have had the problem of headlamps cycling off then on when I foolishly installed four Halogen bulbs in a '67 Cougar. Also had the same issue with the tail lamps in the same car when I - again foolishly - installed six 1357 bulbs in place of the original six 1157 bulbs.

A recent discussion in the Boss section brought up the subject of when the design of the headlights changed for Mustangs. Since this applies to all Mustangs I choose to post the meat of the TSB here so that it could be easier found by members in the future and to share the information

Published in a mid March 1972 TSB

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NEW HEADLAMP BULBS
1972 ALL CAR LINES

New headlamp bulbs were installed on all passenger vehicles built January 3,1972, and later. The wattage of the 5-3/4 inch lamp (low beam) and the 7-inch lamp (hi & low beam) has been increased. The Mustang, Cougar, Maverick, Comet and Pinto vehicles required changes to the wiring harnesses and/or components to accommodate the new bulbs. The Lincoln, Torino and Montego will have an upgraded charging system and components due to the new bulb. Only the Ford, Mercury, Thunderbird and Mark lV harness and components remain unchanged with the new headlight bulbs. lf the new high wattage bulbs are used on vehicles built before January 3, 1972, it is possible to draw more current on some vehicles than the alternator is capable of putting out, thereby discharging the battery and creating a no-start condition. ln addition, on cars with 7-inch headlamp bulbs, the higher wattage bulbs may cause the headlamp switch circuit breaker to operate. lt is imperative that only the appropriate specified headlamp bulbs be used when replacements are made. Refer to the following chart for bulb identification.

NOTE: The new bulbs will have 1/8 inch flutes for positive identification in comparison to the preceding bulbs having 1/4 inch wide flutes as shown in Fig. 14.

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock