Author Topic: 69 shelby convertible decklid rubber bumpers  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Bob Zink

69 shelby convertible decklid rubber bumpers
« on: May 11, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »
Were these convertible decklid rubber bumpers identical to the hood rubber bumpers?  Mine appear to be double-nuts, which I think is incorrect.  I want to buy 4 of the correct style adjusters - 2 for the hood and 2 for decklid.  Where can I buy the correct style adjusters? 

My car was built in December, 1968, in case that matters. 

Thanks for any help. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 shelby convertible decklid rubber bumpers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Your front hood bumpers have been replaced at some point it appears. Trunk lids appear to be similar - not sure if they would have been same supplier given the different assembly plants that installed the front and the rear/trunk ones

Notice the different hardware (thin nut(s) and the shape (crown) of the rubber bumper section

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:46:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:56:54 PM »
Your front hood bumpers have been replaced at some point it appears. Trunk lids appear to be similar - not sure if they would have been same supplier given the different assembly plants that installed the front and the rear/trunk ones

Notice the different hardware (thin nut(s) and the shape (crown) of the rubber bumper section

+1 . Pretty common part on 67-70 Mustang. Use Jeffs picture as a guide if a provider is not clear of what you want.  NPD sells a close repro . Originals would need the threads to be replated the gold or use as is on a car that already has a patina.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 10:48:52 PM »
Thanks Bob and Jeff.  I have the front bumpers solved thanks to your help.  I found a few vendors that sell them with the gold threads.  However, the rear is still an unknown.  I have attached the photos of the bumpers currently on my car which I doubt are original.  There is a nut on the underside in the trunk.  Perhaps these were different for an early 69 convertible??? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 11:09:02 PM »
Thanks Bob and Jeff.  I have the front bumpers solved thanks to your help.  I found a few vendors that sell them with the gold threads.  However, the rear is still an unknown. 

Same as the front ones - only with another thin nut used on the bottom to tighten them in place. See/remember no difference on cars that are early.  Did own #218 at one time which I believe was built prior to yours .
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:47:29 AM »
Thanks Bob and Jeff.  I have the front bumpers solved thanks to your help.  I found a few vendors that sell them with the gold threads.  However, the rear is still an unknown.  I have attached the photos of the bumpers currently on my car which I doubt are original.  There is a nut on the underside in the trunk.  Perhaps these were different for an early 69 convertible??? 

The bumper is typically found on the trunklid on these cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby