Author Topic: 5R07C13xxxx - The finished product  (Read 1715 times)

Offline nham3407

Re: The finished product
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 11:37:31 AM »
Great Job!  Really enjoy the recreated photo like others.  Your mom will appreciate the memories more than the ride.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 06/68

Offline jatkinson

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 02:35:35 PM »
Great job! And its the perfect colour.
1970 Metuchen Mach1 Medium Red 351C 4v Auto PB Shaker Black Interior

Offline tvor

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 09:48:32 PM »
I stripped my '64 1/2 down to bare metal, so I know that fun.  Mine was a rolling re-paint, so it was a piece at a time.  Went thru LOTS of paint stripper and sandpaper.

Yep, I found that paint stripper beat the heck out of trying to sand off the paint using a D/A sander.  My compressor thanked me too!

A little side note - I'm in Kalifornia, but I was lucky enough to have the paint shop right down from my house switch back to solvent based paint (once the paint companies came out with the HVLP spray guns).  So glad I didn't have to settle on that water based &#@* for a paint job!
'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 10:53:31 PM »
A little side note - I'm in Kalifornia, but I was lucky enough to have the paint shop right down from my house switch back to solvent based paint (once the paint companies came out with the HVLP spray guns).  So glad I didn't have to settle on that water based &#@* for a paint job!

Not a Calif thing as much as a Region Air Board thing. Since there is a normal air pattern blowing west to east and for likely other reasons much of the bay area can paint using "more harmful" products than those to the east of those areas.

Be happy - eventually your area will change also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tvor

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 08:30:55 PM »
Not a Calif thing as much as a Region Air Board thing. Since there is a normal air pattern blowing west to east and for likely other reasons much of the bay area can paint using "more harmful" products than those to the east of those areas.

Be happy - eventually your area will change also

I didn't know it was regional.  I thought it was all of Kali.

I'm in the South Coast AQMD (SoCal) area where they limited the amount of VOC's and why all the paint shops down here had to switch to water base.  The shop I went to said he had to dispose of $40k worth of paints. tints and reducers.  He also had to retrofit his spray booth, and buy all new materials.  Then a few years later, the HVLP guns came out and could get under the SCAQMD VOC restriction and he chose to switch back.  I guess I'm lucky he did 'cause most shops stayed with the water base stuff because they already invested in new product, booth upgrades (or new) and training their painters how to shoot it.

Let's hope that the AQMD's don't decide to make it even more restrictive to drive out the solvent based paints.  They are by far a better product. 

'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline jtfx6552

Re: 5R07C13xxxx - The finished product
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
Great story and pictures! Unfortunately none of the others in my avatar photos are still here for the post restoration recreation.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline 79mustangcobra

Re: 5R07C13xxxx - The finished product
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
Looks fantastic!  Great job and I love that it is still in the family!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281
Proverbs 3:5-6