Author Topic: 70 Dearborn Undercarriage Color Related Questions-Multi Merged Threads  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
Re: 1970 Dearborn Sportsroof 250 1V Undercarriage
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2022, 05:11:19 AM »

For the period production you identified and looking at the few examples I have from that period I would go with a batch color from the firewall rearward and red oxide from approx the firewall forward

Here is an example of a pretty dark gray without either a blue or green tint often seen IMHO from a car possibly built within days of your car at Dearborn.
The area to focus on it directly below the bracket where it is not reflecting any light from the flashlight and has been protected from the elements for all these years.  Rest of the exposed floor on this example did not generate any good exposed areas leaving us with just the little peek

OK thank you.
Oxide red, but then the engine compartment should always be painted in semi-gloss black, right?
The red oxide won't show anymore, right?
Is it possible to see some example photos?
It will be clearer for my coachbuilder
thank you.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Dearborn Sportsroof 250 1V Undercarriage
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2022, 05:59:50 AM »
OK thank you.
Oxide red,

Will correct my post about but let me also correct it here. Sorry was thinking only of 69 but for 70 often the area from the firewall forward was sprayed with a batch color and often not the same color or from the same source as the floor from firewall rearward as it states in the article. Have found a few in a red oxide color but the vast majority had a batch color

but then the engine compartment should always be painted in semi-gloss black, right?
The red oxide won't show anymore, right?

The engine compartment and the radiator support would have been painted black along with the section of the cowl visible from the engine compartment (above the cowl to firewall pinch weld), under the exterior painted cowl cover and to the bottom of the windshield opening. There is a recent thread on that detail from the last month or so.

The color red oxide or batch would be visible in the front wheel well over which some body color and black paint would have been applied when those paints were applied by each painter at different times.

Of course the front wheel wells would have received a coating of sound deadener in some areas but not typically over all the outer facing surfaces of the inner fender panels or the back side of the fenders. Often a single pass or two did the job well enough to get it pass the inspectors. Rear wheel wells as shown in the article had sound deadener applied before the exterior color was applied. Same time/station as when the interior and trunk deadener was applied

Is it possible to see some example photos?

The cowl engine compartment paint extension as mentioned above

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27479.0

Real late here at the moment. Will post some wheel well pictures later today
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Steve Schenck

Re: 70 Dearborn Undercarriage Color Related Questions-Multi Merged Threads
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2023, 09:09:12 PM »
K-Hess.. I find the pictures you posted of the remains of that 70 Mach 1 VIN# 178XXX interesting. I own a 70 Boss 302 VIN# ending 178168, that is currently being restored. It too has the green slop paint applied to the underside. However, I don't find any sign of it forward of the firewall, but the underside of the front cross member on my car is still covered with black paint.  Also my service decal was applied on the side panel of the engine compartment just as you've pictured in your post. I would be interested to know how close the remainder of this VIN is to mine.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2023, 10:23:04 PM »
....................I would be interested to know how close the remainder of this VIN is to mine.

Would suggest that the difference or similarities in sequential numbers is not really that important or at least as important as the day the car was bucked and completed. Cars assembled one after another in the first half of production could be thousands or more different based on examples that have been documented. Unfortunately I don't have Marti reports (dates) for every one of the cars I have pictures of 

BTW - welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information helpful in your related projects
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:25:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2023, 08:22:42 AM »
Here is a pic of one of the underside of one of the seat pedestals. You can clearly see the slop gray overspray that came though the seat bolt access holes. My Mach is Dearborn built in March, 1970.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2023, 09:38:51 PM »
K-Hess.. I find the pictures you posted of the remains of that 70 Mach 1 VIN# 178XXX interesting. I own a 70 Boss 302 VIN# ending 178168, that is currently being restored. It too has the green slop paint applied to the underside. However, I don't find any sign of it forward of the firewall, but the underside of the front cross member on my car is still covered with black paint.  Also my service decal was applied on the side panel of the engine compartment just as you've pictured in your post. I would be interested to know how close the remainder of this VIN is to mine.
the cars vin is 22 units before yours. As Jeff said no guarantee where they were in rotation. A Marti report would show if they were built the same day.
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline Steve Schenck

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2023, 05:53:37 PM »
Thank you for the reply Jeff.. I have seen Marty reports on a few 70 cars with VIN's in the 178000, to 179000 range, and each of them have an assembly date of April 20th. I find unusual things, such as the specification sticker on the side panel, rather than the shock tower to be interesting and believe it was very llikely the same person who put it there.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2023, 07:50:46 PM »
Thank you for the reply Jeff.. I have seen Marty reports on a few 70 cars with VIN's in the 178000, to 179000 range, and each of them have an assembly date of April 20th. I find unusual things, such as the specification sticker on the side panel, rather than the shock tower to be interesting and believe it was very likely the same person who put it there.

Steve suggest that you add your cars VIN or more importantly the real build date to the thread below so we can keep these together for others to find when they do a search for the information

Yes this sort of details can often be connected or explains, when they are repetitive over a period of time not a one off, to an individual or individuals working specific shifts assigned to this task or others

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13991.msg86838#msg86838
Jeff Speegle

Offline Steve Schenck

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2023, 11:16:47 PM »
the cars vin is 22 units before yours. As Jeff said no guarantee where they were in rotation. A Marti report would show if they were built the same day.

K-Hess,  Thank you for the information. Per my Marti Report, my car was scheduled for build on 4-17, but was actually built on 4-20.

Offline Steve Schenck

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2023, 11:18:40 PM »
Steve suggest that you add your cars VIN or more importantly the real build date to the thread below so we can keep these together for others to find when they do a search for the information

Yes this sort of details can often be connected or explains, when they are repetitive over a period of time not a one off, to an individual or individuals working specific shifts assigned to this task or others

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13991.msg86838#msg86838

Thank you Jeff.. I've added my information to the thread you linked.