Author Topic: 6 Cylinder- L Code- Engine details and color  (Read 400 times)

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
6 Cylinder- L Code- Engine details and color
« on: January 22, 2023, 05:44:40 PM »
4Th problem...
Originally in the engines were painted mounted?
That is, screws, gaskets, water pump must be corporate blue like the engine?
This is mine that was serviced a few years ago, I didn't do it and consequently I didn't see it as original originally...
An aftermarket air conditioning system was fitted here and as a result "I guess" they modified the alternator drive and maybe also the alternator...??
Can you help me with some photos of the original engine without A/C and without power steering?
If I have to change the alternator, which one should I put?
I have noticed that the carburetor is not original and I have already bought a Carter and the heating radiator had been bypassed because it was punctured.
P.S. if you see any other unoriginal detail, let me know.
Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 07:42:20 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 6 Cylinder- L Code- Engine details and color
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 11:59:55 PM »
Really don't know much about 70 6 cylinders but hope the following will help in some way

4Th problem...
Originally in the engines were painted mounted?
That is, screws, gaskets, water pump must be corporate blue like the engine?

Believe you will find that they were painted with the water pump, thermostat housing and in turn their gaskets and attaching hardware. Appears that the valve cover was painted off the engine

This is mine that was serviced a few years ago, I didn't do it and consequently I didn't see it as original originally...
An aftermarket air conditioning system was fitted here and as a result "I guess" they modified the alternator drive and maybe also the alternator...??
Can you help me with some photos of the original engine without A/C and without power steering?
If I have to change the alternator, which one should I put?
I have noticed that the carburetor is not original and I have already bought a Carter and the heating radiator had been bypassed because it was punctured.
P.S. if you see any other unoriginal detail, let me know.
Thank you!!!
[/quote]

Transmission would be fresh cast aluminum with no paint applied to it. Yours has blue paint from a sloppy repaint of the engine

Starter finished incorrectly. Like others the black would have faded to almost nothing at the attaching base while trying to assure that the main steel body was coated at the same time as another possibility by 70 one mounting ear may have been masked off to ensure a good ground.

Engine plate between the engine and the transmission would have been painted but the paint would be very thin to no paint in the area where the starter would attach. Maybe at least for 50% of that surface.

Plenty of cleaning away of old oil, grime and paint on things that are attached to the engine such as the distributor

A couple of pictures of another car. Like yours there have been some changes since new. Looks like someone also replaced their water pump and didn't worry about painting it either for example

A close up of the alternator Rounded back AUTOLITE cast alternator not that GM looking thing you's currently or did have

And just maybe for a little help in some way a couple of pictures from a 69 examples

Believe yours would have come with a filter at the carb like the example below since there was none in the rest of the system

Also if you haven't noticed yet no worm clamps were used originally on hose or flexible line

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)