Author Topic: Thanks for help - my Magic Skyway convertible  (Read 3892 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Thanks for help
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 10:48:34 PM »
Great article and pictures. Don't know what the photographers are doing - but either they have gotten allot better over the years, have allot more toys to use or they pictures just look a whole lot better on my big monitor then they do on magazine pages.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 12:29:50 AM »
It says there were 12 Mustangs.  Gary has one, have any of the other 11 ever resurfaced?  I assume they would have the same DSO.  Were they all also convertibles and/or 6 cylinders?  And would their VINS be close to Gary's?
In the "Mustang Production Guide, Vol 1" pg107, there is a second Worlds Fair Mustang listed, 5F08T383376. Gary's is 5F08T38386 (shown as entered by Al Schweitzer). Both have the same codes; body - 76A; exterior - M; interior - 85; date - 15B; DSO 842111; axle - 2; transmission - 6. Note the date, 15B - February 15. Almost all the other Mustangs in that VIN range have scheduled build date in December, code M. About 3,100 units before the World's Fair Mustangs are 10 of the A/FX Mustangs. December 1964 was a busy month for Ford.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rodster

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2016, 09:55:54 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out-LOL   :P :P

You're welcome!  ;D
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Thanks for help - my Magic Skyway convertible
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2016, 09:48:01 AM »
Here is a great story that Jim Smart had in the January 2016 "Mustang Monthly." 

There are currently 4 known Magic Skyway Mustangs.  Two of them are from the 1964 season of the Fair and two are from the 1965 season of the Fair.  All of the 12 1964 season Mustangs were  "F" code "5C" pre-production cars.  The 12 1965 season cars were all "T" code 6 cylinders.  For each season of the World's Fair Ford ordered 12 Mustangs for a total of 24 Magic Skyway Mustangs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:58:15 AM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
It's official-the Skyway Mustang has arrived safely at its new home. It is scheduled to spend the next 2 years at the Gilmore Automotive Museum in Hickory Corners, MI.

I've had this car since 1978 and have spent many years getting it to the condition it is in now.

For those of you that don't know-this car was specially built as a ride car for the Disney designed Magic Skyway that was a part of the Ford Motor Company Pavilion at the 1965 World's Fair in New York City.

Many thanks to everyone who has had a hand in helping me--Dena Schweitzer, David and Donna Tuttle, Jim Smart, Kevin Carsh, Scott Halseth (National Parts Depot), Joel Shooks, and Matt Snyr.

Also, a special thank you to everyone on this site who have sent me parts, advice and other needed supplies.  This is a dream come true that I've had in the back of my mind for nearly 40 years!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:59:10 AM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 09:36:05 PM »
Very nice! I have been to the Gilmore Museum and it is top rate. It is great that you are willing to put it in a place that many will be able to appereachate it.
Marty

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2017, 09:53:42 PM »
thank you-it's been under a cover since the Niagara show in 2016. I had to do something with it!
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Offline tobkob

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 11:08:39 PM »
Great choice for a temporary home. Anyone who has never been to the Gilmore should add this to your 'bucket list' and plan on at least 2 days to check out all the museums located in this complex. Also add the Henry Ford and Greenfield village when they are having the Old Car Festival... you won't regret it :)

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970

Online 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 06:41:25 AM »
That is awesome, such a compliment to your hard work and workmanship. AND I know it looks great in person too!

I was fortunate enough to see it in Niagara and in hind-sight, wish I had looked it over far more than I did. (I may never have the same opportunity again!) I remarked to my wife as we walked around your car on how sharp it was in detail (it REALLY stood out in the sea of cars at the event), but honestly, I did not immediately recognize it as your Skyway car that  I had been reading about over the previous few years prior to the Niagara event. I am sure I would have taken more time to talk with you had I figured that out back then. I was overwhelmed that weekend...just amazed at the quality of work poured into every car we see at such shows. Your are right to compliment this site for all they do to help us. The only bi-product of being a member of this forum that could possibly be considered a "negative" (but in reality is a HUGE positive), is that, at least in my experience, my own completion date keeps getting pushed back because I continue to learn details I would NEVER have on my own or elsewhere!

Again, great job and an even greater "next chapter"!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mmsnyr8120

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 11:05:05 AM »
Will have to make another trip to the museum.  Went there when AACA had a show and met up with Richard.  Very nice setting.  Have to mention to other Ford people to make the trip, also.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »
for me it was a pleasure to assist with judging at the show in buffalo. now it will be preserved as it should be.
5F09C331248

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »
thank you all for the kinds words-- ;)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Offline rrenz

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »
Glad I got to see this car in person out in the wild at my first MCA show. Beautiful car.
1966 C Code NJ Springtime yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st