Author Topic: 1968 S code diff casing finish.  (Read 4804 times)

Offline mungus

Re: 1968 S code diff casing finish.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »
Well I jumped the gun and have already painted the daubs before I digested the last post. I couldn't find any stainless coloured paint locally, so I used the VHT cast iron. Its lighter (more steel like) than my iPhone photos show, and was an exact match for the fresh cast iron on the Currie Ford 1330 long yoke, so not too bad.

In any case I am generally pleased with the rear axle. :-)

I found the remains of a yellow daub by the filler plug, under a layer of paint so I noted that, (complete with run) and replicated same on the carrier.
The yoke is as mentioned, with a yellow driveshaft clocking blob and a spray of Ford blue across the lower yoke and dust shield.
I didn't notice any blue remnants on the pinion support so I just allowed the barest of touches there.

In any case I think this will do unless I find some further markings info re inspector crayon scrawls etc.
Thanks for all the assistance.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:11:31 AM by mungus »
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 04:56:05 PM »

The center section/ 3rd member/ pig was originally painted prior to machining inside and out with a red oxide colored epoxy that was slightly glossy (not flat like open primer)

There will be natural machined metal on the pinion retainer and three sections on the bottom/sides of the main case

Plant code?  Suggest you post what you have and what is illegible

I see Model code - Ratio - Date - Assembly code

Will send you a pm rather than post details here since they are so often borrowed or migrate to other years and models if posted   ::)

I was looking to determine what machining surfaces there were on the differential pumpkin.  I found this information but not sure if it applies to my car.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 04:58:10 PM »
it should apply as the axle assembly's were made at the sterling plant and then shipped to the different assembly plants.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 05:38:53 PM »
it should apply as the axle assembly's were made at the sterling plant and then shipped to the different assembly plants.
It is my understanding that the axle assembly included the housing , brake backing plates ,axles and center section . It was shipped as a complete unit to the assembly plant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2023, 11:18:35 AM »
It is my understanding that the axle assembly included the housing , brake backing plates ,axles and center section . It was shipped as a complete unit to the assembly plant.

+1
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 03:41:43 PM »
Thank you.  In the picture I reposted, there are three yellow arrows. I'm assuming the middle bottom one points to the pinion retainer.  The other 2 are noticeable and on the body.  The post says there are 3 areas machined on the body.  Where is the other one?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline dkknab

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2023, 12:53:51 PM »
One other thing.  It appears the pinion  retainer plate is painted red around the sides and just the flat surface is machined.  It's that also correct?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2023, 05:31:02 PM »
One other thing.  It appears the pinion  retainer plate is painted red around the sides and just the flat surface is machined.  It's that also correct?

Correct on this application. On some rearend pinion retainers the surface is not flat and machined all the way around - just pads
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2024, 02:32:56 PM »
Just wanted to add to this thread that I discovered a yellow dab on my pinion yoke as pictured.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior