Author Topic: 64 1/2 interior colors  (Read 1980 times)

Offline ruppstang

64 1/2 interior colors
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:15:13 AM »
I am posting this question for a friend. Not my year of expertise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you know we're nearing the process of painting our 64.5 and our question is what color should the interior floor panels and the rest, has to be.

The car's color is Wimbledon White with Std. Red Interior

I know for sure is that the Interior windscreen pillars, the dash assy, and the doors are to be red.

Also below are the door tag details as you requested
 Body,65A, Coupe
 Colour Wimbledon White
 Trim 85 ,Red STD Viynl
 Date 31C, March 31 1964,very early production
 DSO 91 , Export
 AXle , 3.00:1
 Trans 5, 4spd manual
 Vin # F507D110299

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 64 1/2 interior colors
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:34:05 AM »
I am posting this question for a friend. Not my year of expertise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you know we're nearing the process of painting our 64.5 and our question is what color should the interior floor panels and the rest, has to be.

The car's color is Wimbledon White with Std. Red Interior

I know for sure is that the Interior windscreen pillars, the dash assy, and the doors are to be red.

Believe they were done (had been painting cars for a while there - other lines and models) painted like other 65's

Doors, windshield pillars and dash painted red then masked off before the car was painted. If you interested in what gets masked off under things like the dash pad or behind door panels or head liners I can look and see what I've got for examples for that period and plant.

Under the carpet and the rest of the interior would not have normally been protected from the body color application so I would think we would see the typical large amount of body color on sections of lower panels and floor and less to nothing higher up like the center of the roof
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:43:36 AM »
Does anyone know of the interior red paint code?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:02:06 AM »
Does anyone know of the interior red paint code?

Yes but they are are old ones. Check the Library

They will likely do you little good since the paints and toners have changed. Suggest you check with Auto Color Library as suggested in many other threads ;) They have likely reformulated it in modern products
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 11:28:14 AM »
Unfortunately my 05/65 Metuchen FB interior was changed to black some year as it seems to be originally red (no door ID plate). I'm trying to know how many red colors did exist and which parts had 1 red brigher tone and which had darker tone like dash pad?
Did they came with:
1.  all 65 cars interior with bright red color tone or dark red
2. all 65 cars with 2 red tones
3. red interior and white sunvisors and headliner
4. red interior and black sunvisors and headliner
5. rear quarter panel trim always on red or black was a possibility
6. carpet and/or foldown seat carpet on red or black too
Unfortunately seems to buy as a kit this is the option with just 1 red tone as photo

Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 12:02:35 PM »

A May '65 car would have had an all red interior, no black or white components.  There may have been rare cases of black seatbelts, but red would be the norm.

The red shades would be reasonably close.  Would suggest to be careful using reproduction parts/shades as a guide.  Almost all of the reproduction pieces would most likely be somewhat different when putting them side-by-side with original parts.  Normally is not an issue for most cars, but depends how far (correct) someone wants to go.  I have had NOS vinyl sourced for the soft trim and door panels/seats made from it. 

Unfortunately my 05/65 Metuchen FB interior was changed to black some year as it seems to be originally red (no door ID plate). I'm trying to know how many red colors did exist and which parts had 1 red brigher tone and which had darker tone like dash pad?
Did they came with:
1.  all 65 cars interior with bright red color tone or dark red
2. all 65 cars with 2 red tones
3. red interior and white sunvisors and headliner
4. red interior and black sunvisors and headliner
5. rear quarter panel trim always on red or black was a possibility
6. carpet and/or foldown seat carpet on red or black too
Unfortunately seems to buy as a kit this is the option with just 1 red tone as photo
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 06:11:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I have to buy aftermark interior, Distinctive Industries, Auto Customs Carpets, Dash Direct (OEM tool). Are them good quality?
from your reply may I take the conclusion that Dash Pad, sun visors, door interior panel, carpet, upholstery, windlace, headliner, quarter trim are all bright red +/- same tone. 
Like this Jeff Speegle photo.
GT dash pad are '65 model and same color tone or like 66 cars with different dash pad shape and darker red color?
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline jackhodges

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 01:00:54 PM »
I own a 64.5 convertible. Rangoon Red with the 85 Trim# "Brite Red" interior.  The interior is exactly as the posted image.  I used Scott Drake, Brite Red in a rattle can and feel like it is pretty good match for the original color.  It is a low luster lacquer paint.  I am happy with the results.

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 07:03:06 PM »
I got my (may '65 Metuchen Fastback) red interior parts now and a little bit darker than I thought (never saw one and expecting bright red), according Charles, colors are almost correct so I believe they are correct but arm rest pads are even darker than all other parts, is this correct or should be same color tone as doors panels or dash pad? a carefull look to Jeff interior photo seems correct and arm rest pad are darker!!!
Even harder interior paint code are not recognized here, PPG do not exist and DUPONT have no registry, even ford color code seems to not exist!!!
   Red              M21J1429B   71315   PPG/Dupont Cross-Ref 1990
Spies Hecker owned by Dupont is one of the best car paint we can have on Europe but Wimbledon white is almost yellow, poppy red is orange and  M21J1429B do not exist.

Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2022, 07:17:24 PM »
I got my (may '65 Metuchen Fastback) red interior parts now and a little bit darker than I thought (never saw one and expecting bright red), according Charles, colors are almost correct so I believe they are correct but arm rest pads are even darker than all other parts, is this correct or should be same color tone as doors panels or dash pad?
Back up a notch. What is the interior code of your car? And this is a 64 1/2 thread, and your fastback is a 65. A bit of a conflict there.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 05:57:46 PM »
No way to find Red Standard Interior paint on PPG and many other paint brands, I've tried on almost all on Europe...
On several posts I read, got the idea that interior paint color tone (doors interior, dash panel, etc) was similar or very close to upholstery color, door panels and dash pad. Will be correct to adjust paint color to those?
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior