Author Topic: Unrestored - 1968 GT350 Convertible Picture Thread  (Read 703 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unrestored - 1968 GT350 Convertible Picture Thread
« on: October 16, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners. Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

Cars' VIN is - 8T03J1803xx-029xx
Not a ton of pictures but everything helps :)

Enjoy

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

INTERIOR

I1

I2

BODY
B1

B2 Top installation/inspection label

B3 Paint inspector stamp - For the fender

B4  Paint inspector stamp for the unibody

B5

B5 Taillight panel

B6 Taillight panel detail

B7 Rear hood sticker placement

B8 Radiator support and grill opening

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:33:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Shelby Convertible - Unrestored Picture Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 10:28:34 PM »
TRUNK

T1 Upper drivers side corner of the trunk lid showing weatherstrip, a little adhesive and texture of the paint

T2 Trunk lid, striker as well as stickers/decals. Federal Highway and jack

T3 Passenger side trunk hinge, bolts and wirign for trunk light

T4

T5

T6Felt type/style of trunk mat

T7 Taillight cover and wire loom "finger" covers

T8 Sequencer for taillight and related wiring

T9 Appears that while the worker was applying the Federal sticker that was suppose to be applied to the trunk lid the first effort failed and the sticker ended up stuck to the back side of the taillight panel.  What this does help to verify/suggest is that the trunk lid was installed prior to the taillight panel being cut for the Shelby style taillights

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:02:21 AM »
RE: Photo T7, Wiring Loom Finger Covers

I don't recall seing these protectors on earlier examples (say '67 Mustangs), Any idea what cars got these covers?

TRUNK

[

T7 Taillight cover and wire loom "finger" covers

Richard Urch
MCA Certified Judge, 67-68

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:45:35 AM »
Late 67s may have had them. I do not know of a change over date. All 68s should have them.

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 11:13:51 AM »
Jeff the decal on taillight panel is ford motor co.  & the trunklid decal is Shelby American inc.   also note the eng# on lower rh corner.  So the taillight decal had to be put on at NJ plant?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
Late 67s may have had them. I do not know of a change over date. All 68s should have them.
I haven't seen them on 67's just 68's but wouldn't bet my life on it especially very late 67.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 05:22:01 PM »
Jeff the decal on taillight panel is ford motor co.  & the trunklid decal is Shelby American inc.   also note the eng# on lower rh corner.  So the taillight decal had to be put on at NJ plant?

Good eye Ed. Yes the one on the taillight panel is the one that would have been attached to a Mustang decklid at NJ and the other on the Shelby decklid/trunk lid is the one applied likely at AO Smith

Wonder why the worker at NJ too the time or effort to slap one on the body?  Guess we'll never know. So far it looks to be the only one he did that way
Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 01:09:43 AM »
Can't quite tell but looks like there is some kind of grease pencil marking under the trunk lid.

"CH" has been seen on several original cars. Seems AO Smith employee Charles Hyland marked several cars.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »
Here's a sticker on the taillight panel of my 68 GT-500.

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproduction

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 10:48:44 PM »
Here's a sticker on the taillight panel of my 68 GT-500.

Scott
I wonder if the worker might have gotten frustrated when sticker with back peeled off in hand found no trunklid to stick it to. He /she stuck it to the the next best place in defiance . ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »
I wonder if the worker might have gotten frustrated when sticker with back peeled off in hand found no trunklid to stick it to. He /she stuck it to the the next best place in defiance . ;D

Kind of got the same vibe

Does suggest IMHO that like many of us believed that the Shelby's were worked in with the regular production Mustangs going down the line at NJ. If not (if it had been a dozen or more Shelby's one after the other) then the worker would not have likely grabbed that sticker.

Story seems more believable than  that he grabbed a sticker , turned around - even walked to the cars trunk area, and then discovered oops its not a regular Mustang - even though it lacked a trunk lid  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Unrestored - 1968 GT350 Convertible Picture Thread
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »
Due to a recent discussion in another 68 GT350 thread I realized that I hadn't posted any engine compartment pictures from this car.

After looking at the pictures I see why I didn't include them the first time. The car is a driver and the owner has made many choices over the years to make the car into his vision and to fit his needs and wants.  Posting the pictures can lead to a long list of "this is incorrect and that has been replaced" surely all suggested to keep other viewers from assuming that what they see on this unrestored car is original to the car. Please understand that posting any pictures of unrestored or original cars comes with this hazard and comments are meant to help not critique the owner or past owners choices.  Not posting them would mean that we would not see other original details that help with our understanding and research of these cars. Thanks for understanding our purpose and goal here on this site

E1

E2

E3 Replacement carburetor, aftermaket KYB shocks and someone installed studs for the intake manifold hardward at some point
And there is the "white" spark plug wire holder again

E4 Inspector stamp/mark still on the drivers side cowl - Brake booster is not correct finished

E5 PS dipstick "shield" fell off :(
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:11:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Unrestored - 1968 GT350 Convertible Picture Thread
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 07:44:03 PM »
Please understand that posting any pictures of unrestored or original cars comes with this hazard and comments are meant to help not critique the owner or past owners choices. 

We'll just leave this as a 'that's interesting' comment...  :D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin