Author Topic: 68 Shelby wheel date codes  (Read 3123 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 Shelby wheel date codes
« on: December 17, 2016, 02:47:43 PM »
I have 6ea 15X6 rims for our 12-02-67 68 Shelby GT350. The only one that came with the car was the spare shown in the first three pictures. It has a KW 20 and 67 and a Ford logo near lug holes. It is stamped near the valve core and the inside of the rim. I have acquired three additional rimes like this.

The second type I found is marked near the lugs with the KW and Ford logo and nothing by the valve core hole. It also is stamped on the inside of the rim.

The third type I found is marked near the lugs with K2 , 20, C and a Ford logo. It is stamped near the valve core hole with the K2 6 20 6 
                                                                          8                                                                                                           8     
It also is stamped on the inside of the rim.

I am trying to figure out which would be the best to use on the car.
Thanks

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:51:46 PM by ruppstang »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 68 Shelby wheel date codes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 10:00:21 PM »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
There are different formats for wheel dating in 1968.  The first picture is an indication of one format typically used.

The rim face and the actual outer rim usually are dated separately. The first wheel picture posted the inside face is dated "12 67", while the rim is dated by the valve stem hole.

The date of the rim will be the one by the valve stem hole. So, as an example "1 26" is January 26. We can assume that's 1968 based on the date of the face (by the lug holes).

I would say a January dated wheel is appropriate for a Feb, March or April built car.

I think the wheels with a small "K 28" by the valve stem are after Shelby production.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
 The only steel rim that came with the car was the spare and it is in the early format.  It had 8 67 on the face and nothing near the valve core hole. I think it is correct
The other three in this format have 12 67 on the face. Two have 12 26 6 by the valve core hole and one has 1 22 6 by the valve core hole.
Not surprising that these wheel are all to late for our car. As tough as these wheels are to come by I am still glad to have them. I have no plans to build a Tbred but would like to make the car as correct as possible.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »
The last "6" in those date codes is the rim width.

I am not sure if a car would have rims dated later than the build. But certainly the December and January rims are keepers

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 05:08:27 PM »
I may put the one with the August date code on the spare where it will be seen and others on the car till I find better date codes.

Merry Christmas

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:20:10 AM »
There are quite a few formats for correct 68 Shelby wheels. Like Pete pointed out inner and outer rims were made separately so dates can be different on same wheels. I have a 2 2 68 rim here with a 12 67 center. The 8 67 rim you have is excellent for a spare. Typically a Nov/Dec car would have 7 67 - 9/67 wheels. The wheels became much more standard after 1-68  You will typically find K2 over 8 and month/day/rim width by valve stem and KW Ford logo by lugs. Prior to 1 68 you will find nothing by stem, sometimes month/day/ width and even rarer are the K2 over 7.
My experience is wheels usually pre date build by 2-4 months. I currently have over 30 on the shelf (not for sale) so I can supply pictures of all types
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
There are quite a few formats for correct 68 Shelby wheels. Like Pete pointed out inner and outer rims were made separately so dates can be different on same wheels. I have a 2 2 68 rim here with a 12 67 center. The 8 67 rim you have is excellent for a spare. Typically a Nov/Dec car would have 7 67 - 9/67 wheels. The wheels became much more standard after 1-68  You will typically find K2 over 8 and month/day/rim width by valve stem and KW Ford logo by lugs. Prior to 1 68 you will find nothing by stem, sometimes month/day/ width and even rarer are the K2 over 7.
My experience is wheels usually pre date build by 2-4 months. I currently have over 30 on the shelf (not for sale) so I can supply pictures of all types

Great info!

Here's a picture for reference.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A