Author Topic: Question on DSO in relation to dealership car is sold.  (Read 984 times)

Offline 65Ford

Question on DSO in relation to dealership car is sold.
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:07:31 PM »
My '65 fastback has a DSO of 51 - yet the second hand story I heard was the car was originally sold at Galpin Ford which is in North Hills, California.   Would a dealership within 10 miles of Los Angeles receive a car with a DSO other than Los Angeles?  I guess I need an education on Ford's use of the DSO.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Question on DSO in relation to dealership car is sold.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 10:38:55 PM »
If a customer wanted a particular car with specific colors and options, the dealer often swaps cars with another dealer, sometimes outside the DSO.  Just one possibility...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »
The DSO was the district where the order was place not where it was delivered. Delivered doesn't always mean where the car was sold so you have a number of variables to each cars stories though the vast majority of the time they were all the same. Other times that can create some interest vehicles

Where was the car built, what month and what engine since there were some different emission requirements depending on where it was original delivered and sold  sold
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 65Ford

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 12:04:58 AM »
Hi Jeff and Midlife,

I suspected as much regarding ordered vs delivered but never really knew.  The car in question is the one in my sig.  It is a San Jose built, '65 fastback with a scheduled build date of 10/2/64.  If the door tag is correct it had a 4 speed trans and a 3.00:1 open rear.  Unfortunately, it currently has a '71 or so Maverick six cylinder 3 speed trans and a 2bbl mystery displacement small block V8 Ford engine. Even the  aircleaner assembly is wrong (Fairlane/Galaxie type).

So a good guess would be the original owner couldn't wait for a 4 speed A-code fastback to be built and had the dealer search for one?  Too bad it has been 52 years.  I doubt Galpin Ford would have any records of the sale.

DT
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142