Author Topic: 66 Electrical issue  (Read 924 times)

Offline rrenz

66 Electrical issue
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:22:19 PM »
Ive been going through some checklist issues and one of them is my ignition wiring. PO had removed the neutral safety switch and tied some wires together. I just recently purchased a new ignition switch and pigtail. Ive been going over schematics and the internet to no avail. Ive already installed a new NSS and now Im going to be replacing the neutral safety harness. The two bullet connectors that terminate under the dash next to the gas pedal are my question. I've included a picture of a original piece cut from a harness.this is what I've been able to surmise.  Is the center wire (Blue Red) connected to the male end of the NSS harness at the firewall? if thats the case is there a lead that ran from the female side back up to the harness near the ignition switch? or am I completely wrong here?
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline jwc66k

Re: 66 Electrical issue
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:46:37 PM »
You at least looked for schematics. There is a single 4 wire cable from the neutral switch that is routed from the left hand side of the transmission over the bell housing to the right hand side then up to two two male-female connectors at the rear center of the engine compartment. They then go to another dual two pin M-F cable routed thru the firewall. One pair is for the neutral safety switch circuit (both wires are red-blue tracer), the other pair for the back up lights (both are black-red tracer).
The neutral safety circuit gets it power from the back of the ignition switch, the large rubber connector, and feeds the completed circuit to a multi pin connector on the firewall to the starter solenoid. All wires in the circuit are red-blue.
The back-up lights get power from a triple female connector behind the instrument cluster, and feeds switched power to the rear of the car thru the under dash harness and the tail light harness. All wires in the circuit are black-red.
I recommend you get a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your year car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:01:11 PM »
That does not look like the correct NSS/BU switch at all.  It should have four wires from it: two red/blue and two black/red.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline rrenz

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:19:21 AM »
The original owner had tied allot of wires together to make the car run without the switch. It hit me like a ton of bricks last night that the male and female end for the NSS harness were plugged into one another. I never thought twice about it so i was assuming i was missing a piece of the harness which i don't believe i am now. This really all began when i replaced my ignition pigtail and the accessories were not working after doing so. I believe the switch was going bad so i picked up a new one. this is when i started to really look into the NSS harness. I was looking right at a set of assembly manuals yesterday when i picked up my ignition switch. looks like i should of bought them!
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary