Author Topic: Wheels and Trim for 1969 Base Trim (63A) Cobra Jet Sportsroof  (Read 2064 times)

Offline ShakenFE

Wheels and Trim for 1969 Base Trim (63A) Cobra Jet Sportsroof
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:56:23 PM »
I have been searching for the correct specification wheels/trim for a Base Trim Sportsroof (63A) equipped with a Cobra Jet (San Jose build).  It seems clear that all CJ's were equipped with F70/14 Polyglas tires, the question is wheel application.  A 63A Base Trim would have had a painted steel wheel and a dealer installed poverty cap or 5-point "star" full cover.  I think the "dog dish" poverty cap was carryover 1968 and showed the corporate "crest" center.  But given the F70/14 required tires, I am guessing the wheels would have been upgraded to one of the Styled Steel Wheel choices (there were 3, Argent, Chrome, Color-Keyed).  I think all of these came with trim rings.  Any thoughts on the correct wheel/trim, thanks.
69 CJ Base SportsRoof 63A "Double R"

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Wheels and Trim for 1969 Base Trim (63A) Cobra Jet Sportsroof
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »
You need to get a Marti Report.  It is possible a plain Sportsroof came with body color painted steel wheels and poverty caps (with running horse, not corporate logo) or it could have been optioned with one of the other wheel choices.  It is also not a given that the car had F70 tires (my CJ Grande, for example, came with E70s).  In any case, as a CJ car it would have 14X6 wheels regardless of style or tire size.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:54:04 PM »
+1 Just get a Marti report so that you know what your car came with - you'll be happy in the long run.  Especially if your going to ask more questions on this site   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ShakenFE

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:26:18 AM »
I have Marti report as well as original build sheet both of which specify the F70/14 wide oval belted white sidewalls.  There is no statement of wheel or wheel trim on Marti.  This much I have known.  Since I do have original build sheet, do you know which field the wheel code is located?  The field immediately to the right of the tire code is "522WF" would that be the wheel?

Offline ShakenFE

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:39:41 AM »
On build sheet, field to left of "Tires" is "Wheels".  Wheel code is "60ARS".  Do you know which wheel would that be?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
Looking through a bunch of Marti reports and comparing it to what you've provided so far (63A body style) I see so far that when styled steel wheels were ordered they were noted in the Marti report in a number of examples.  Unless Kevin has changed by leaving out details (doubt it) then at this moment it suggests to me that your car received steel wheels. Also you didn't mention that your Marti report list any mention of hubcaps (something shown on other non- Mach I examples)  which IMHO suggests that your car likely didn't receive a set of full hubcaps but likely the standard "dog dish" hubcaps and because of this painted (to match the car) steel wheels as we have seen on other cars.  Since you didn't mention it I assume that this was not a GT car orginially

For the rest of the story/question

..............The field immediately to the right of the tire code is "522WF" would that be the wheel?

522WF

This refers to

"5" tires  (4 on the ground and 1 in the trunk)

"2" 2 ply tire

"2" identifies the type of tire (don't know the definition of a 2 verses the other numbers at this time) could identify the supplier

"W" believe this refers to the white wall side wall

"F" find this on some but not all buildsheets in 69. The form did change a number of times during the production year so that might explain why it was not always used.

60ARS ...

If you can read the lines above each they are

"60"  Wheel size = 6"

"A" Wheel color

"R" Wheel style

"S" Wheel type

Followed by Wheel code on some versions

Looking at other buildsheets I found the same codes for wheels had been used on base model Mustangs that would not have been equipped with either Magnums or styled steel wheels IMHO  All the codes other than the width of the rim also matches even the most standard of the Mustangs with the 5 1/2" wide rims

So we're left with narrow base wheels painted body color or semi-gloss black. And as mentioned above (the no hubcap mention in the Marti report) I think there is a good case to make for body colored wheels originally

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:51:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 10:43:26 PM »
I agree with Jeff body color wheels and small hubcaps though I think all CJs got competition suspension which should include the 6" wide wheels.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 12:45:12 AM »
I agree with Jeff body color wheels and small hubcaps though I think all CJs got competition suspension which should include the 6" wide wheels.

We're on the same "page" you'll see where I decoded the buildsheet info he provided as a 6" wide rim
Jeff Speegle

Offline ShakenFE

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
Thanks for the help.  To answer Jeff's question, this is a base trim level without GT Equipment Group option.  Tire seems pretty clear and Coker has just released a look-a-like radial to the glass belted wide oval, unfortunately not in white stripe yet.  I will make request to Kevin for clarity on wheel.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »
Be careful. Correct tire for your car is Goodyear Polyglas not Firestone.
Jim
'66 GT FB