Author Topic: 65 San Jose Rear Park Brake Cables (again!)  (Read 927 times)

Offline mustangmann

65 San Jose Rear Park Brake Cables (again!)
« on: April 17, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
Hello all;

I am getting close to assembly of an early August of 1965 SJ Hi Po fastback, and rather than resurrect an old thread, I thought that I would start a new one.  The original thread (http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5120.15) addresses the routing of the rear park brake cables on San Jose cars in the June to August of 65 timeframe.  My car is a 5R09K242XXX car.  The rear cables attach with the 4 clamps, and there are no "humps" in the floor pans.

My question is, has anyone seen, or had any original park brake cables from this time period with the rubber sheathing, or insulators cut in to two pieces on each cable?  The photos here are of my original cables, and in "petersixtfive's" post on the old thread, his cables have the insulators cut in to two sections.  My rubber insulators appear to be cut cleanly, not torn apart from age. 

Just wondering if I am seeing things, or if I need to cut the insulators on my NOS cables.  I know I am getting picky, but that is what we are here for, and this is a high level restoration.  ;)

Thanks in advance!

Ken

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 San Jose Rear Park Brake Cables (again!)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »
Yes, I have seen a bunch of original cables cut in 2 pieces.  The inner frame rail clamp has a 'U' opening that the cable is supposed to fit into.  With a one piece hose, it doesn't fit properly.

This may have been a running change.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
Yes, I have seen a bunch of original cables cut in 2 pieces.  The inner frame rail clamp has a 'U' opening that the cable is supposed to fit into.  With a one piece hose, it doesn't fit properly.

This may have been a running change.
I agree a running change from the two piece hose and evolved in later/late 65 production to the one piece style. All of the NOS service 65 cables that I have had were the 1 piece style so that is the most prevalent in NOS form IMO. I am not sure how long the two piece style was serviced by Ford.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
Ken,

The cars that I have seen during this production time have the one piece rubber on each side. I have certainly seen the two piece design on earlier cars though.

Also note that the later NOS cables have a smaller diameter rubber sheathing than the originals.

Here are some pictures of 6S033. It originally had the one piece rubber. Note that it has the same late '65 style rear parking brake cable retaining clips as the carryover car that you are working on. It just has the hump in the rear floor for the cable, which, of course, was not utilized when they went to this style of retaining clip. The hump vs. flat floor is another story. On the San Jose cars, that apparently took place right during the first VIN batches (actually two orders - one batch without rear seats and one with). I have examples of flat floors in cars with earlier Ford VINs than humped floors. They seemed to flip-flop back and forth for a short time. By the 242xxx batches, they were all flat.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:09:18 PM by Brant »

Offline mustangmann

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »
Thank you Charles, Bob and Brant!

Yes, I did source the earlier NOS cables, with the larger diameter rubber insulators.  Given the evidence presented to me, I think I will go with the one piece rubber for now, at least until more evidence surfaces supporting otherwise.  It is certainly an easy correction.  It is very possible that the cables were replaced at some point, possibly with used ones from another car.  It is, after all a 52 year old car!

Ken