Author Topic: Luggage Rack for 65/66 Mustang  (Read 3159 times)

Offline scrowe

Luggage Rack for 65/66 Mustang
« on: February 06, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
I know there a lot of opinions on whether or not to add a luggage rack to your 65-66 mustang.  I have been considering adding one to my 65 convertible so I ordered one from CJPony and when I received it I was very disappointed in the quality of actual fit and finish.  My question is, does anyone have experience with these racks and any recommendations on where to get the best one available?  Thanks in advance for any advice you might offer.
scrowe

Offline MattDoscher

Re: Luggage Rack for 65/66 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
Yeah there's a lot to be desired of reproduction parts for these cars.  If you're unhappy with it return it and use the wanted ads on this forum to search for a NOS one or good used one.

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline scrowe

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »
Matt

Thanks for the nice advice.

Regards,

Steve

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »

In my humble opinion....Trust me, Your car looks much better without one.  I used to like the luggage racks many years ago until I realized that it really takes away from the lines of the car, pretty much destroys the trunk when installed and that too many people were adding them..  My advice....Send it back.....chances are that even if you had installed it, You'd never use it anyway.. Today, I prefer cars without the luggage racks...but it would never stop me from buying a car if it had one....I would just get another original trunk and have it painted the color of the car and keep the one with the luggage rack up in the rafters of my garage somewhere...  My 2 cents..

If you are really hell bent on getting one, You can try the one that NPD sells, or find an original one and have it re-chromed..

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline CW4macret

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:27:49 PM »
I agree with the poor quality of reproductions. A friend had to put one on his 65 because the deck lid was just to waving and could not fix even after lots of feather fill and polyester.  Was able to make a rack look good and fit correctly by disassembling all of it. Then polished every part and reassemble hand fitting everything. You will have to do a little grinding and find better mounting hardware. The car has been judged at several MCA shows with no comments about the rack or the deck lid. Lots of work!
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline scrowe

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 12:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the input, I like the idea of an additional trunk lid.  We will see what I can come up with.  Definitely sending the repop I got back.
regards,
scrowe

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
Here's some more good advice...!!!

***If you are going to install one, Don't do it on your original trunk and ruin it! (since it's date coded to your car with its original sheet metal stamps!), Instead, install the trunk rack on a donor original trunk that you picked up somewhere...and had it painted to match the color of the car. This way the originality of your car is not disturbed...and you can always switch back and forth if you get tired of the look. There's plenty of good original '65-'66  trunks still around since the coupe and the convertible share the same identical trunk....not only that, While you are having the donor trunk painted and install the trunk rack, Your Convertible is not laid up in the garage where you can't drive it! The best of both worlds!! Why compromise!?!!

I've known quite a few guys over the years with two trunks for their verts....their original untouched trunk, and an extra trunk with the luggage rack.  That's the way to do it!  It will even add more value to the car as well!..when you can offer both options!!!...if you ever decide to sell..  I also suggest to get an original '65-'66 trunk donor because the repro '65-'66 trunks are actually too long and have quite a few fitment problems..

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:11:00 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline scrowe

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 04:32:57 PM »
Tony
Thanks for the great advice.  Sounds like an excellent plan to follow.
scrowe

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 08:38:25 PM »
I for one really like original luggage racks on 65/66 coupes and convertibles. the scott drake repo is a rubbish part.................

I was lucky enough that one of my earlier 66 cars already had provisions (holes)in the trunk lid for a luggage rack whether it was a factory thing or a dealer add on or a previpous owner thing I have no knowledge on, but I sourced a NOS example and before I committed to paint I assembled it and it fit perfect with no adjustments needed so I was happy as.

I thought it looked really smart and suited the nightmist blue exterior colour, love chrome and dark blue.

As soon as I put it on the show field people seemed to constantly comment about it in a positive manner as it is a option that not many cars have.

Since I did that car I did a restoration for a friend on a 66 GT coupe and he also wanted what my USA friends call "a god damn pumpkin holder".
I made a template off the first car and just transferred that across to the second, again another NOS luggage rack was used and a perfect fit was obtained.

images attached

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline scrowe

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 04:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, I have identified and NOS rack and hopefully it will be worthy of installing on my car.