Author Topic: 6R09K135284 Concours correct on ebay?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 6R09K135284 Concours correct on ebay?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 05:40:11 AM »
I wish I could confirm this but I had hypothesized sets of license plates were issued to each county.  I had noted a lot of HOG series license plates in Ventura county.  My parent's '65 Ranch Wagon (Galaxie) wagon was one of them and it was a late (July?) '65 vehicle built in Los Angeles (I think).

Don't have to guess we've had DMV employees of the period tell us (as I recall) that groups of plates were sent to different DMV offices (often there are multiple offices in some counties)  When the new plates were sent out the state sort of guessed on the amount that would be needed within a given period of time. When those ran low they requested and were sent addition (later) set of sequenced plates.  If you collect enough (there is never enough :) of the plate numbers and where they were issues or at least the part of the state patterns do show up. Unfortunately it was easier before the state started reassigning these. People for years were buying black plates and only using them at shows or when they tried to sell a car and claim or suggest that they were original

Most difficult thing to find is often any record of where the car was originally sold (dealership or town)  in my experience. Original insurance or pink slips can be used for data points since they can include the cars plate number so you don't always have to have the original plate on the car for that bit of information
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 01:54:47 PM »
I quit reading when it said 'bought same day as produced', that told me everything I need to know to run away.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »
I quit reading when it said 'bought same day as produced', that told me everything I need to know to run away.
The odd thing is that it's possible. In those days, you could buy off the lot or get it with a special order. If someone wanted certain options, and a "K" code was an option, you would most likely have to special order it. This one could have had a customer that wanted a "K" code and bingo! The dealer found one. This car's VIN is in the range of the 23rd of November, 1965, so if the buyer put a down payment on that date, the car was his. The actual delivery date is whole different situation. The registration date is also a different situation. There is also the "scheduled" build date and the "actual" build date may have been as much as two to four weeks different.
Bottom line is - it's possible, although not likely.
The e-bay listing has more pictures that "appeared" including several of the engine compartment. The prominent discrepancies there are the incorrect fuel pump, coil mounted on the intake and non-painted shock towers and firewall braces. There are a couple of pictures of the VIN on the block and transmission.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
Regarding the month JAN for 1966 would be incorrect for sure, however, I bet if the month sticker was peeled off, the registration sticker underneath would be 1973.  I believe California started having everyone attach the Month sticker in 1975. 

The DUP 351 plate looks like it has at least two registration stickers under the '66 registration sticker.

I wish I could confirm this but I had hypothesized sets of license plates were issued to each county.  I had noted a lot of HOG series license plates in Ventura county.  My parent's '65 Ranch Wagon (Galaxie) wagon was one of them and it was a late (July?) '65 vehicle built in Los Angeles (I think).

My understanding when I was doing research for original plates for my 66 car, that in California, the first letter for the year 66 would be somewhere between the range of O and S, obviously with variations depending on where the plates and DMV were located...

This was the standard chart I found way back when I was doing the research...

CALIFORNIA BLACK AND YELLOW PLATES

FIRST LETTER OF PLATES STARTING WITH...

A to D 1963

E to I 1964

J to N 1965

O to S 1966

T to W 1967

W to Z 1968 and 1969

This would make those plates from 63 or 64 at the latest...

Jason

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »
My understanding when I was doing research for original plates for my 66 car, that in California, the first letter for the year 66 would be somewhere between the range of O and S, obviously with variations depending on where the plates and DMV were located...

A to D 1963

E to I 1964

J to N 1965

O to S 1966

T to W 1967

W to Z 1968 and 1969

This would make those plates from 63 or 64 at the latest...

Jason

I agree, what you have listed is a very good rule of thumb for California black plates originating in 1963, for passenger cars with three letters/three numbers on the plates.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Morsel

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »
I agree, what you have listed is a very good rule of thumb for California black plates originating in 1963, for passenger cars with three letters/three numbers on the plates.

So again, false info, haha... :P

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »

Suggest ( as I believe you have) that this is a general guide and that there are a number of factors that can influence the assigning of plate letters and that the chart should be only used as a rough guide
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 08:05:59 PM »
Suggest ( as I believe you have) that this is a general guide and that there are a number of factors that can influence the assigning of plate letters and that the chart should be only used as a rough guide

Yes, that is exactly correct, just a general guide, but it would be very odd to have a DUP plate assigned to a 66 car, very doubtful is basically what I'm saying.

Jason

Offline 65Ford

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 04:58:52 AM »

I concur with this as my parents ordered their 1965 Ranch Wagon very late in the model year and it was assigned the HOG series license plate.  I once had a '65 Fastback roughly December '64 schedule build whose plate was IWD 361 so I guess that fits. 

Regarding bought on day it was built - I guess it is stretching it a bit by saying if a car was special ordered it was "bought" if some money was put down on the order.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142