Author Topic: Correct Speed Cable?  (Read 605 times)

Offline OldMustangGuy

Correct Speed Cable?
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
I'm having a bit of trouble deciphering what is  supposed to be the correct speedo cable for a 68 NJ small block with auto trans.

Depending on the vendor I have seen described lengths as being 65" or 68" for "concours correct" cables. Also, one of the "concours correct" cables has a sliding rubber sleeve that I suppose is intended to go under the large frame rail clamp that couples the speedo cable and emergency brake cable. I haven't seen that sleeve in any photos of original cables that I can find.

Is this another example of selecting the "least worst" repro part or does one of the vendors actually have a truly correct one?

Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Correct Speed Cable?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
From the 75 MPC (Ford Car Parts), Sect 170 page 11, a 68 289/302 with a C4 uses C7ZZ-17260-C which is shown as 66 9/16 inches long. There's another listed for speed control modulator or NOX emission, C8ZZ-17260-E, 57 13/16 inches long. I don't know what vendors you use but I might consider others.
You can down load your own copy of the MPC from http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
It's 434mb in 45 files.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline OldMustangGuy

Re: Correct Speed Cable?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »
I sort of answered part of the question myself....I have a Daniel Carpenter cable (which is advertised as 65" in length)....I pulled the cable out of the sheath and its right on with the 66 9/16" stat. If you just measure the sheath between the fittings its about 65" so maybe that's where they are picking that number from.

Any comments about the rubber sheath as to its correctness or not?