Author Topic: 1965 GT A code  (Read 1351 times)

Offline usapony

1965 GT A code
« on: February 15, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
Hi guys could someone tell me please i have found a 1965 A code GT for sale and its door tag says 1 in the trans section which says its a 3 speed manual , If this is a real GT shouldnt it have a 4 speed Not a 3 speed manual box ?? or could you have still got a 1965/66 GT in a 3 speed manual back in the day .
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:26:21 PM by caspian65 »

Offline MattDoscher

Re: 1965 GT A code
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 04:40:45 PM »
Hello.  First off welcome to the site!  I hope you find it as useful and enjoyable as I have. 

The GT option did not mandate a 4 speed tranny.  Many GT's have the 3 speed unless the customer also opted for the 4 speed.  The car you're looking at should have front disc brakes, fog lights, dual exhaust w/ the trumpets exiting through the rear valance, styled steel wheels, GT stripes and badging, and 5 dial instrument cluster.  Make sure the VIN on the door data tag and the VIN on the inner fender apron both match.

Matt
Matt Doscher
5F07C395128
Caspian Blue exterior, Palomino deluxe interior.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
The simplest check for a legitimate 65 GT is to locate a hole on the bottom of the real frame rail and stick a finger in to feel for a spacer (also called a crush tube). See the attached. Year, there are fakes, but for a correct date 65 (or 66) "A" code that someone, with an unscrupulous background (maybe even on this forum) added the correct spacer and bolt holes, I might give them some slack. Pictures would be nice and a partial VIN would also help.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »
Isn't there a "cutin" date for those ?????   Where early cars didn't have?  Charles will know.

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:20:04 PM »
Isn't there a "cutin" date for those ?????   Where early cars didn't have?  Charles will know.

Mark

Not really for GT's, but applies mainly to earlier K codes (and Shelby's).  Suppose it is possible for some super early GT's to not have the reinforcement, but I have only found one car like that and it had some other weird stuff, so not what I would consider 'normal'.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline usapony

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »
Thanks Guys I'm  all aware of all the things a GT should have as I've  owned a few myself and currently still got a 66 K GT fastback , The thing that through me was when I saw its door tag saying 3 speed manual I didn't know that you could get a GT with a 3 speed , looks like I just learnt something else today . Thanks again to all that replied .

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »
Kind of a buzz kill eh?   ;D

Sorry in advance for offending any 3-sp manual owners!

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »
22:1 steering ratio????  I thought it was 16:1 or was that 1966 only?

Offline 65Ford

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
It seems it's easier to determine if a '65 Mustang was originally a GT or not if it had an A engine as I've learned here that only A engine Mustangs with dual exhaust were GT's.

I had a '65 coupe which I swear was an original V8 coupe and since it had all the dual exhaust fittings and no marks for the single exhaust hangers on its frame rail must have also a GT (it was dressed as a GT, had front disc with proper KH prop valve and HCC-AX steering box).  Unfortunately the VIN stamped was 5R07T while the warranty plate had 5R09A.  I should have taken more pictures as I couldn't find any spliced seams and all the factory spot welds were present.  The car was pretty monkeyed up though; didn't have original engine or carb, aftermarket GT exhaust, repainted (and fading badly), and many other non-stock changes.

Dean
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 12:19:14 AM »
It seems it's easier to determine if a '65 Mustang was originally a GT or not if it had an A engine as I've learned here that only A engine Mustangs with dual exhaust were GT's.
Don't forget that all "K" code Mustangs came with dual exhausts, GT or not.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 12:23:16 AM »
Could a 1965 factory GT be ordered with backup lights? Has one been verified?
The assembly manual implied that it could, as backup lights were an option on all 65 Mustangs. There were four taillight harnesses, two for hardtops and convertibles with and without, and Fastbacks with and without. Fastbacks had the extra wire for the rear quarter lights and that entailed a wire going across from left to the right side light.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 12:29:50 AM »
I seem to remember this very same question asked elsewhere. Of course, it could have been the wine -
Jim

Offline 65Ford

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 04:42:38 AM »
Don't forget that all "K" code Mustangs came with dual exhausts, GT or not.
Jim

Absolutely!  I should have worded my sentence better - maybe "all A engine Mustangs were single exhaust unless it was ordered with the GT option".  I need to work on being more concise.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
Could a 1965 factory GT be ordered with backup lights? Has one been verified?

In some '65 Ford documentation, I can't remember which, there is a comment regarding backup lights not being available on GT models.  Let's just say that it's not typical to see backup lights on a '65 factory GT.  Believe some owners may have added them over the years or maybe dealer installed.  I wouldn't rule out them being factory installed, maybe in later '65 production though, toward the end. 

If I see backup lights on a '65 GT, it makes me look closer at the car and question if it is a true GT.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
In some '65 Ford documentation, I can't remember which, there is a comment regarding backup lights not being available on GT models.  Let's just say that it's not typical to see backup lights on a '65 factory GT.  Believe some owners may have added them over the years or maybe dealer installed.  I wouldn't rule out them being factory installed, maybe in later '65 production though, toward the end. 

If I see backup lights on a '65 GT, it makes me look closer at the car and question if it is a true GT.

+1 especially since backup lights were an option - I'd presume people would be focused on purchasing other options.  So seeing legit factory backup lights on a '65 would be rare IMO.