Author Topic: 1965 GT A code  (Read 1352 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Re: 1965 GT A code
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
My dad's factory GT fastback did not have back up lights.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 02:00:38 AM »
How much does a 3 speed in at factory GT affect the value or collectibility of the car.  Is it worth sinking money into one (coupe)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
Per NADA Guides http://www2.nadaguides.com/ about 10 percent for a 4 speed. An A/T would not be as much.
Note: NADA Guides is a guess at to actual value. It is best used as a reference.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
How much does a 3 speed in at factory GT affect the value or collectibility of the car.  Is it worth sinking money into one (coupe)

I think the car would actually take a hit on value being a 3sp.  Guess it depends on the rest of the car as far as the actual value.  Personally, I would overlook a factory GT w/a 3sp as a buyer, but that's just my preference.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 02:23:49 PM »
I found a real 65 GT, there are a lot of differences. The gauge package and glove box door are different, under the rear seat 2 exhaust hangers, the fog lights also turn on the taillights, without the key on I believe.  The frames tubes have been seen on non GT cars. Date code on the rear valance is nice to see, stabilizer bar is bigger, I think that if a 3/4 open end wrench does not fit over it, it's GT size. The hole for the fog light switch is notched, some might be round holes from the factory, I forget.

A borescope will tell if the hole is notched, if all of them are notched and the car you are looking at is not, then that's a flag. A paint gauge on the under rear seat hangers should show 1 to 2 mills, if it is more than aftermarket hangers might have been installed. Same with the quarter fins, if it was filled then the holes will be shown by the paint gauge.

A dealer might of converted it to a GT which was popular at the time.  After a quick study of GT facts and my tools, there is no way I can be fooled by a fraud GT, and neither will you.

Remember, the factory made mistakes and had part shortages so a totality of the evidence is the proof.  If the hole was missing for the switch the electrical worker would drill one.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 12:59:51 AM »

"styled steel wheels"

I also saw that Matt mentioned earlier in the thread that the car had to have styled steel wheels if it was a GT.  That's incorrect.  No it did not.  The styled steel wheels were an option, even on GT cars. Plenty of '65-'66 GT cars were sold without the styled steel wheels.

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »
+1 especially since backup lights were an option - I'd presume people would be focused on purchasing other options.  So seeing legit factory backup lights on a '65 would be rare IMO.

According to the 65 price list, "All regular Production Options are available with the GT Equipment Group except the following: Back-up lamps, Rocker Panel Moulding, Power Brakes, Accent Group and Options not available with the High Performance Engine."
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »
A dealer might of converted it to a GT which was popular at the time.  ..............

Heard lots of claims but have never seen one in real life.  Much easier to just order another or get one from another dealer.  Have found and owned cars were the dealer slapped on the grill lights  and maybe side stripes - most likely in response from a few owners who had already taken delivery and were responding to that one ad campaign about making your Mustang a GT.  If a dealer had converted a car to a GT  it was allot easier and cheaper for them to take the car down to Midas or Sears and have a dual exhaust system there thrown on the car. More money in they pocket also. Just my experiences
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
Heard lots of claims but have never seen one in real life.  Much easier to just order another or get one from another dealer.  Have found and owned cars were the dealer slapped on the grill lights  and maybe side stripes - most likely in response from a few owners who had already taken delivery and were responding to that one ad campaign about making your Mustang a GT.  If a dealer had converted a car to a GT  it was allot easier and cheaper for them to take the car down to Midas or Sears and have a dual exhaust system there thrown on the car. More money in they pocket also. Just my experiences

The dealer GT appears to be one of the great white whales of the Mustang hobby. Everyone claims to have seen one, but no one can ever produce supporting documents from the 60s. Still, this excerpt from the April 65 dealer newsletter shows Ford did push GT items to dealers, including chrome tailpipe extensions at $1.25!

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »
I think it's safe to say there are way more GT clones out there now than there ever were back in the late 60's.  Period documents as above give modern owners a green light to add GT items and say 'it was allowed back then'. 

The closest I ever saw documented was a car that had fog lights and dual exhaust/trumpet exhaust added to a C code.  The fog light install was rather crude, notably different than a factory installed setup.  Rear valence and trumpet exhaust also a bit sloppy on the install.  Paint mis-match, crooked tips...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 65Autolite

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
The dealer GT appears to be one of the great white whales of the Mustang hobby.

+1 Glad to see others recognize it for what it is.

VMF (Vintage Mustang Forum) is a significant (if not #1 biggest) source of the " DEALER GT " conversion anecdote. It has been spread and repeated to point it has become a fact being common "dealer" conversion on the board.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 02:22:55 PM »
+1 Glad to see others recognize it for what it is.

VMF (Vintage Mustang Forum) is a significant (if not #1 biggest) source of the " DEALER GT " conversion anecdote. It has been spread and repeated to point it has become a fact being common "dealer" conversion on the board.
If it is written on the Internet, it must be true.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »
If it is written on the Internet, it must be true.

Or as we often find - If you repeat it enough time that makes it a fact :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
If you repeat it enough time that makes it a fact :)
Sounds "political" (just saying) -  ;D
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.