Author Topic: 1965 GT A code  (Read 365 times)

Offline 65Ford

Re: 1965 GT A code
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 04:42:38 AM »
Don't forget that all "K" code Mustangs came with dual exhausts, GT or not.
Jim

Absolutely!  I should have worded my sentence better - maybe "all A engine Mustangs were single exhaust unless it was ordered with the GT option".  I need to work on being more concise.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
Could a 1965 factory GT be ordered with backup lights? Has one been verified?

In some '65 Ford documentation, I can't remember which, there is a comment regarding backup lights not being available on GT models.  Let's just say that it's not typical to see backup lights on a '65 factory GT.  Believe some owners may have added them over the years or maybe dealer installed.  I wouldn't rule out them being factory installed, maybe in later '65 production though, toward the end. 

If I see backup lights on a '65 GT, it makes me look closer at the car and question if it is a true GT.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
In some '65 Ford documentation, I can't remember which, there is a comment regarding backup lights not being available on GT models.  Let's just say that it's not typical to see backup lights on a '65 factory GT.  Believe some owners may have added them over the years or maybe dealer installed.  I wouldn't rule out them being factory installed, maybe in later '65 production though, toward the end. 

If I see backup lights on a '65 GT, it makes me look closer at the car and question if it is a true GT.

+1 especially since backup lights were an option - I'd presume people would be focused on purchasing other options.  So seeing legit factory backup lights on a '65 would be rare IMO.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
My dad's factory GT fastback did not have back up lights.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 02:00:38 AM »
How much does a 3 speed in at factory GT affect the value or collectibility of the car.  Is it worth sinking money into one (coupe)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
Per NADA Guides http://www2.nadaguides.com/ about 10 percent for a 4 speed. An A/T would not be as much.
Note: NADA Guides is a guess at to actual value. It is best used as a reference.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
How much does a 3 speed in at factory GT affect the value or collectibility of the car.  Is it worth sinking money into one (coupe)

I think the car would actually take a hit on value being a 3sp.  Guess it depends on the rest of the car as far as the actual value.  Personally, I would overlook a factory GT w/a 3sp as a buyer, but that's just my preference.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Autolite

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 02:02:42 PM »
Hagerty lists the following:

Value Adjustments
+10% for 4-spd. -25% for 6-cyl. -10% for auto. +6% for a/c.

Personally, I find a factory 3-speed M/T more desirable than an automatic.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 02:23:49 PM »
I found a real 65 GT, there are a lot of differences. The gauge package and glove box door are different, under the rear seat 2 exhaust hangers, the fog lights also turn on the taillights, without the key on I believe.  The frames tubes have been seen on non GT cars. Date code on the rear valance is nice to see, stabilizer bar is bigger, I think that if a 3/4 open end wrench does not fit over it, it's GT size. The hole for the fog light switch is notched, some might be round holes from the factory, I forget.

A borescope will tell if the hole is notched, if all of them are notched and the car you are looking at is not, then that's a flag. A paint gauge on the under rear seat hangers should show 1 to 2 mills, if it is more than aftermarket hangers might have been installed. Same with the quarter fins, if it was filled then the holes will be shown by the paint gauge.

A dealer might of converted it to a GT which was popular at the time.  After a quick study of GT facts and my tools, there is no way I can be fooled by a fraud GT, and neither will you.

Remember, the factory made mistakes and had part shortages so a totality of the evidence is the proof.  If the hole was missing for the switch the electrical worker would drill one.