Author Topic: 1965 GT A code  (Read 612 times)

Online ChrisV289

Re: 1965 GT A code
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
My dad's factory GT fastback did not have back up lights.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 02:00:38 AM »
How much does a 3 speed in at factory GT affect the value or collectibility of the car.  Is it worth sinking money into one (coupe)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
Per NADA Guides http://www2.nadaguides.com/ about 10 percent for a 4 speed. An A/T would not be as much.
Note: NADA Guides is a guess at to actual value. It is best used as a reference.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
How much does a 3 speed in at factory GT affect the value or collectibility of the car.  Is it worth sinking money into one (coupe)

I think the car would actually take a hit on value being a 3sp.  Guess it depends on the rest of the car as far as the actual value.  Personally, I would overlook a factory GT w/a 3sp as a buyer, but that's just my preference.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 02:23:49 PM »
I found a real 65 GT, there are a lot of differences. The gauge package and glove box door are different, under the rear seat 2 exhaust hangers, the fog lights also turn on the taillights, without the key on I believe.  The frames tubes have been seen on non GT cars. Date code on the rear valance is nice to see, stabilizer bar is bigger, I think that if a 3/4 open end wrench does not fit over it, it's GT size. The hole for the fog light switch is notched, some might be round holes from the factory, I forget.

A borescope will tell if the hole is notched, if all of them are notched and the car you are looking at is not, then that's a flag. A paint gauge on the under rear seat hangers should show 1 to 2 mills, if it is more than aftermarket hangers might have been installed. Same with the quarter fins, if it was filled then the holes will be shown by the paint gauge.

A dealer might of converted it to a GT which was popular at the time.  After a quick study of GT facts and my tools, there is no way I can be fooled by a fraud GT, and neither will you.

Remember, the factory made mistakes and had part shortages so a totality of the evidence is the proof.  If the hole was missing for the switch the electrical worker would drill one.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 12:59:51 AM »

"styled steel wheels"

I also saw that Matt mentioned earlier in the thread that the car had to have styled steel wheels if it was a GT.  That's incorrect.  No it did not.  The styled steel wheels were an option, even on GT cars. Plenty of '65-'66 GT cars were sold without the styled steel wheels.

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001