Author Topic: Rear End Plug Finish  (Read 2993 times)

Offline rrenz

Rear End Plug Finish
« on: February 15, 2017, 07:43:46 PM »
I most recently rebuilt my 8 inch rear end and brakes as I'm slowly moving through detailing the underside of my car. Long story short I took a point hit at a local MCA event due to my springs being rusty. Everything began to snowball from there. Anyways The only bit of information I couldn't find was the correct finish of the fill plug. My assumption is that this is a natural finish?

Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline ChrisV289

Re: Rear End Plug Finish
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »
I had that same setup to move the rear around my garage...Harbor freight wheel dolly.  Plug should be black just like the rest of the housing...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »
+1 on the black plug. an fyi here....that blue gasket will also merit a deduction.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:26:42 PM »
I most recently rebuilt my 8 inch rear end and brakes as I'm slowly moving through detailing the underside of my car. Long story short I took a point hit at a local MCA event due to my springs being rusty. Everything began to snowball from there. Anyways The only bit of information I couldn't find was the correct finish of the fill plug. My assumption is that this is a natural finish?
Curious what kind of wheels are on the car? If steel wheels and hubcaps fine .If magnums then wouldn't the brake drum face  typically be brush painted black?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rrenz

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »
+1 on the black plug. an fyi here....that blue gasket will also merit a deduction.

That was my first thought when i put the pumpkin back in. ill have to trim it up. I have the steel wheels and hubcaps. I believe that the drums were only painted black with the styled steel wheels. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
That was my first thought when i put the pumpkin back in. ill have to trim it up. I have the steel wheels and hubcaps. I believe that the drums were only painted black with the styled steel wheels. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.
They are fine if steel wheels and hubcaps. Even trimmed you will still be able to see the edge of the blue or white.  Using tape on the red oxide side and then applying some black paint with a fine brush to color the gasket material will solve the problem . ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rrenz

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 08:37:56 PM »
that sounds like a better solution. Was going to get my brush out for the plug anyways! thanks
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:48:53 AM »
A magic marker will fix the gasket edges as well.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 08:57:15 AM »
A magic marker will fix the gasket edges as well.

not quite. there should be slight bare area showing around that edge.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:13:22 AM »
not quite. there should be slight bare area showing around that edge.
Since we have digressed to other details other than just the plug...
What is the best source of a "black" gasket that closest matches an OE gasket? (8-inch or 9 inch while we are on the subject)...something that leaves the "bare area" as mentioned?

I ask because anybody could make a gasket or make a gasket "fit" but how snug to the edge of 3rd member should the gasket "hug"?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:17:17 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
It is a very thin paper gasket.  I don't think there is an "edge" like there would be on something thicker.  The black ones I have are solid black.  I bought them in a quantity somewhere and they are not individually packaged so I can't say where they came from but they are out there somewhere.  I think I bought them from Summit or someplace like that.  Like this one;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/axe-dg2810?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-fast-shafts&gclid=CI6s1qTylNICFVcHhgod9BUBjQ
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:08:23 AM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »
It is a very thin paper gasket. I don't think there is an "edge" like there would be on something thicker.  The black ones I have are solid black.  I bought them in a quantity somewhere and they are not individually packaged so I can't say where they came from but they are out there somewhere.  I think I bought them from Summit or someplace like that.  Like this one;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/axe-dg2810?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-fast-shafts&gclid=CI6s1qTylNICFVcHhgod9BUBjQ
Technically there is going to be a edge on gasket material no matter how thin . The thinner it is the less noticeable but just like a piece of white typing paper there is a edge. A light color like white or blue will stand out more against a black background of the rear end housing.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »
The easy button is to paint the gasket black before installing.  Otherwise, NOS gaskets come up from time to time on ebay and other places.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 11:32:37 AM »
Since we have digressed to other details other than just the plug...
What is the best source of a "black" gasket that closest matches an OE gasket? (8-inch or 9 inch while we are on the subject)...something that leaves the "bare area" as mentioned?

I ask because anybody could make a gasket or make a gasket "fit" but how snug to the edge of 3rd member should the gasket "hug"?
A blue or white gasket is going to be extremely noticeable and trimming close is the best solution given the comprise already at hand to make it go away IMO. The best thing is to use a black gasket to begin with because as you mention it doesn't hug the edge tight plus there is a different profile in some areas of the gasket. It would be more trouble to try and cut one to look correct then it would to change it correctly. Trimming tight just makes it less noticeable and is a compromise. Also as mentioned the entire flat surface should machined bare because some areas are not completely covered by the gasket especially the area that contours down to the tubes.  Anything short of that is a compromise of sorts and depends on what you are willing to do in pursuit of that assemblyline look.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »

Can't recall the brand but the last ones I purchased were just ones that were listed in a Rock Auto ad I received as a email. Often go through those (close outs and product drops) to see what hardware like things I can pick up and set on the shelf  for later use
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)